Sign in to follow this  

Does anyone make a better/stronger starter motor?

Is there an alternative to the oem starter motor or is there maybe someone who can rewind the stock armature for more power? I don't think the bike really needs it but it might be handy.

YEP, Shorai and you should be good to go. I've never touched my starter but did replace the one way bearing/clutch gizmo once.

Might be time for a rebuild, very easy to do with $20.00 in parts from your Local Honda Dealer. then if that doesn't help your problem, try getting a new Shorai Lithium Iron battery.

What do you get for 20$ in parts? My started is acting up.

What do you get for 20$ in parts? My started is acting up.

New brushes and springs, that's usually all you need. Just take it apart and clean all the internals, then put it back together and roll:ride:

New brushes and springs, that's usually all you need. Just take it apart and clean all the internals, then put it back together and roll:ride:

That is very good to know! I need to get on this and just do it. Ive been kicking for 9 months now.... In the mountains it sucks!!

That is very good to know! I need to get on this and just do it. Ive been kicking for 9 months now.... In the mountains it sucks!!

Pay attention when you take it apart, it takes patience to put the springs and brushes back in. I use sone long needle nose pliers. There's a good pic in the service manual that describes this in detail.:lol:

Make absolutely sure all the washers go back in the way they came out. There is a non-conductive washer in there that has to be in the right spot.

The starter did stop working. I pulled it apart (what a bitch to get it out :lol:) and found the brushes were worn and the wire to one of them was broken. Fitted a new set of brushes but now it doesn't turn with enough power. Battery is good and fully charged so it needs a new armature which isn't available on it's own so I'll need a complete new motor for $250.

The starter did stop working. I pulled it apart (what a bitch to get it out :lol:) and found the brushes were worn and the wire to one of them was broken. Fitted a new set of brushes but now it doesn't turn with enough power. Battery is good and fully charged so it needs a new armature which isn't available on it's own so I'll need a complete new motor for $250.

I have one that I rebuilt for a spare. I'll sell it to you. Send me a PM.