Sign in to follow this  

buying a 2010 rmz250, got a few questions

Might be buying a 2010 rmz250, what'r something i need to look for on the rmz? problem areas and such? thanks

the RMZ is no different than any other bike you would buy used, you gamble. id immediately look at the aesthetics of the bike, chances are that a good looking bike will be well taken care of. ask the owner if he was riding or racing it, and at what level. a race bike will tend to have more abuse on it (but is sometimes maintained better), once you get these formalities over with, really LOOK at the bike. check that the sub-frame isn't bent or cracked(caused by crashing), check that the front wheel is straight and true, check the spokes for tightness. check for play in the linkage. take the oil check screw out and verify there is fresh oil in the motor. ask for bills of things that have been replaced. Suzuki tends to supersede parts for the newest design, so if he changes lets say the crank shaft for oem then you will have the 2011/12 crank in there. finally, and most important, take it for a ride and don't be shy in opening it up, you need to know if its running as it should.

Personally, i would skip the 10 for an 11 since its an "updated" bike. the 10 was a debut model, and most debuts have their weening problems. not saying its a bad bike but these early problems are "updated" in the 2011/12.

Might be buying a 2010 rmz250, what'r something i need to look for on the rmz? problem areas and such? thanks

The tranny sucks in 2010-2012

The tranny sucks in 2010-2012

this is coming from your extensive experience on an RMZ? or is this one of those "i heard... or my friend has..." types of comments?

the tranny on my 2011 has been holding up just fine, i have 36hours on the bike and im sure that other owners of the bike will have a similar opinion. i will say that the tranny was updated in 2011, specifically thicker 3rd and 4th gears, but ive had the 09 rmz and it held up just fine (if not better) than any 250f ive had.

this is coming from your extensive experience on an RMZ? or is this one of those "i heard... or my friend has..." types of comments?

the tranny on my 2011 has been holding up just fine, i have 36hours on the bike and im sure that other owners of the bike will have a similar opinion. i will say that the tranny was updated in 2011, specifically thicker 3rd and 4th gears, but ive had the 09 rmz and it held up just fine (if not better) than any 250f ive had.

What?! You have not heard about MXPro83's tranny experience? :lol:

What?! You have not heard about MXPro83's tranny experience? :lol:

ahhh, so he got a few shavings and got scared eh? all i have to say is that he wasted his money getting it repaired. i always had some shavings when breaking in all my bikes (honda, yamaha, suzuki). i do take back what i said about Mxpro not having experienced with the bike, but after finding MULTIPLE Suzuki bashing posts from him, i find his reaction quite childish and do not consider his 10 hours with the bike "extensive" experience. its easy to point fingers at problems you had(im not saying he didn't have a problem) but his case doesn't reflect my, and many others trouble free experience with the bike. and trust me im not in denial

the trannies are suspect. just ride it till it starts acting up then get it fixed. it's worth it

It was his bike personally that blew up. It was a 2011 RMZ 250

I have a 2010 RM-Z250 and i love it! absolutely zero problems with the tranny! It's and amazing bike and handles great. The only bone i have to pick is the piece that connects the triple clamps to the bars. its rather weak, and when you crash hard it will bend! so have spares :) Stop bashing until you ride one, my honda 250 blew up in half a season :lol:

even with the tranny problems I've talked three other guys into buying them.

Hey im just giving a guy a heads up, not bitching, the bike ripped. Handled great. I was just unfortunate and had a bad tranny. Its not like im making anything up or a big deal, something to look out for. The engagement dogs wear prematurely thats where my big slivers came from. Big deal, just ride the bike before you buy it, take it through the gears. Im not bashing anything, i rode em all!!

as was posted before, its unnecessary to get into a pissing match. all bikes have their problems. for example: i had very bad luck on the intake valves for my crf250 no matter how often i meticulously cleaned my air filter (airbox reseal included) others have claimed that they had good luck with theirs but i didn't convince them that their ALL bad. i just find it unfair to call any bike a "health hazard". after all, i could very easily blame the ktm's injectors for cutting out at inopportune times (i think that can also be considered the same kind of "dangerous") or a crf stalling out mid air due to zeroed out intakes. the point IS that these problems can (and DO) manifest themselves on ANY bike, hence why i mentioned that any used bike is a gamble. giving people a heads up about your experience is nice, but it doesn't mean that he will definitely run into the problem.