Sign in to follow this  

oil filter spring...

08 CRF250R

Lets say I found no spring behind the oil filter of my bike when purchased.. what could be screwed up because of this? its not locked up, and no metal flakes in the filter. the rod is in spec and crank spins good and nothing feels or looks off..

honestly that one is hard to say... it is very possibile it could have damaged the bottom end, but as you stated, it doesnt sound like it.. if it were me i would change the oil 2 or 3 times to get any metal out and then of course install a new filter with a spring and just keep an eye on the engine for a while, could have caused some wear.. but if you continue riding with no issues then you should be good to go.. Good luck!

would it cause the oil pressure to drop off, or just let oil un-filtered oil back into the engine?

I guess it depends how long it was run like that and how often the previous owner changed the oil. I always use stainless filters and inspect after each oil change and i rarely find anything. This would be much worse in a bike with only one oil sump for transmissiond and engine. Personally I bet your gonna be fine. It had all the oil doing its job, cooling, lubricating. I guess youd cycle a bit of shit through but i think your gonne be just fine. I got hit in the first turn and broke my oil filter cover on a kawi I had and ran it out of oil and i had no idea. I kept riding it until my foot kept slipping off the peg. It had no oil in it. I took it all apart and it was fine. Youd be very suprised how durable these motors are. Especially a honda.

if ya need a spring cut open the stock used oil filter the one in there is 99% match if ya need one in a bind.

I'm going to order the oem spring from motosport, this bike is torn apart right now for winter rebuild, the head isn't even on the motor at the moment. so its not running and am in no rush.

I'm grateful for your guys's knowledge! :) thank you :lol:

Edited by _nothing_