Sign in to follow this  

Newbie To CR's-03 CR250R Questions

Hey guys, how's it going?

I'm a 21 year old local pro motocrosser living and going to school in Phoenix, AZ, and I support my own racing 100% and have for several years now. I moved to Phoenix in August from Bozeman, MT and have been training extremely hard since August to get my pro card and give a few AMA Nationals a try in 2012. Last week my 09 YZ450F broke a rod and completely destroyed my motor (it locked up on the face of a 100+ foot, 4th gear pinned jump while i was leaned over mid-scrub, I went down but came away with no broken bones thankfully).

Like I said, I support my racing on my own,with the help of a few great sponsors/people who have done what they can to keep my bikes going and performing to their potential. I was down to just my 450, and have no other bikes. With the motor completely trashed all the way down to the cases, I'm left with a rolling chassis and no bike. I've been tossing around the idea of a 250 2-stroke to get me back on the track as cheap as possible, and had a guy offer up his cherry 03 CR250R for $1,500.

I have a fair amount of experience with 250 2-strokes and have owned a few in the last few years (08 KTM 250 SX, 07 YZ250, 05 RM250) but am very unfamiliar with CR250's and Honda's in general, I've ridden and raced every brand besides Honda.

My biggest question is in regards to suspension. I am one of those people who find suspension to be EVERYTHING on a MX bike and I'm not sure where the 03 stands as far as technology. Has the CR250R suspension been updated since 2003, or is somewhat of the same that you might see on the 09 CRF250's and 08 CRF450's? Obviously it will be revalved and sprung for me, but I want to know the final product won't be far off a modern bike.

Power isn't a huge deal, as I have a good engine builder who is confident he can build a fire breather that should be able to pull on the 450's with me behind the bars, but does anyone have any insight on power vs. say, a Yamaha 250?

Also, I've noticed the 03 has a older looking front fender and number plate. Does Cycra make a stadium plate for it, or is there a way to put the 04+ plate on there? Also, does the new front fender fit on there?

Any other tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. I'm really looking forwards to getting back on the track, having some fun and hoping to turn some heads on the "dinosaur". I plan on obtaining my pro card with this bike and saving up as much as I can to purchase a new 450 next spring and giving the Nationals a shot.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any response.

i have ridden the 03 and 06 cr250 and have found that the only real difference is that the 06 is a lot smoother, amost like a 4 stroke... suspension wise 06 has some minor valving changes but is still basically the same.. i find my 03 cr250 suspension to be very good..

Ok well my long winded reply timed out. Cliff notes.

FC suspension w outdoor spring seats works great 4 me. It's no 2011 yz450 though, you'll still feel the track a little.

Gearing stock won't fly, 49 or 50 needed.

Jetting- jd kit for mikuni, or kehin air striker, and vf reeds

Pipe stock, or doma.

Cycra makes stadium plates, and the needed adapter.

C12 cures the detonation for me.

Balance and handling top notch even by current standards IMHO.

No not able to holeshot 450's in deep loam sorry -pipe dream, make up the time in turns.

Get noticed taking names on a $1500 bike!

hey you may enjoy the bike enough to save the coin on the springtime 450, and travel to a few more races, imagine the buzz if you qualified?!

Ok well my long winded reply timed out. Cliff notes.

FC suspension w outdoor spring seats works great 4 me. It's no 2011 yz450 though, you'll still feel the track a little.

Gearing stock won't fly, 49 or 50 needed.

Jetting- jd kit for mikuni, or kehin air striker, and vf reeds

Pipe stock, or doma.

Cycra makes stadium plates, and the needed adapter.

C12 cures the detonation for me.

Balance and handling top notch even by current standards IMHO.

No not able to holeshot 450's in deep loam sorry -pipe dream, make up the time in turns.

Get noticed taking names on a $1500 bike!

hey you may enjoy the bike enough to save the coin on the springtime 450, and travel to a few more races, imagine the buzz if you qualified?!

All great info, thank you very much.

As far as the power goes, I should rephrase my statement. What I was getting at, is that my engine guy knows what he's doing with a CR250R and he feels that with the combonation of the motor he builds and me on the bike, I won't have a problem staying with the 450's because he knows I will be getting every ounce of power to the ground and will hold it on as long as I can, that's what 2 strokes are all about!

Your last sentence is really starting to potentially become reality. I went and rode tonight on a 05 KX250 and had a lot of people talking and saying that if I do well on the 2-stroke, that they would like to help me get to the big races and see if I can be competitive on the CR or maybe even a newer 2-stroke.

Again, thanks for the info, I appreciate your time! Every bit of information helps at this point.

Forgot to mention 05+ front fender fits fine. UFO makes white rear fenders that will give it current looks.

The stock clutch stack uses 5 alum and 2 steel plates, going to all oem steel adds 1/64" to stack height, no biggie, but adds some flywheel effect and for me helped keep from stalling in turns. You may still like more snap with the alum though. Since it's used there's prob an aftermarket kit in there.

Good luck.

Even tho the bike got bad reviews back in 03 from the mags it's more than competent to compete in the hands of the right rider. I have an 02 with 03 cyl. & head mods done by PC. On full race gas with vp c-12 the powerband now hits pretty hard & has a wide spread of power from bottom to an extended overrev. I've owned many 250 2t's & this is the best 250 2t motor to date that I've ran.

The suspension is not outdated but will need to be customized to your weight & riding skill as you noted. IMHO the handling & suspension are second to none with the 3rd gen aluminum frame to any other 250 2t. I ride at the local tracks & feel like I'm not at a disadvantige running the 2t vs. the 4.

I dont think you can race a 2003 in a pro national. Arent there restrictions when it comes the age of the bike? Something like 5 years.
This was brought to my attention the other day, and it seems it's unavoidable. We will address this in the future, but from the sounds of it, if I decide to go 2 stroke and attempt some nationals I would have support from some key people and new bikes wouldn't be an issue.

But for now, it's all on me. I'm hoping to pick this gem in the next week, I'm excited to get going on it and seeing where I can take things.

Where can I purchase the Cycra stadium plate for the 03? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Thank you again for your replies, any further advice or tips on the CR's would be great. Thank you!

http://store.cycraracing.com/cystnupl.html

The air box needs sealing help on these bikes. Mx bones makes a great kit, or you can just rtv the boot to box junction to get by. Stock exhaust flanges crack often, pro circuit and boyesen have nice replacements, I have the boyesen, but dislike the dental floss thin orings they include. Power valve cables stretch and need frequent attention. Upper shock bearings go out early, but are an easy fix. Stock reeds chip easily, but stock reed cage seals up better than any aftermarket product. If you can get the vf3 to seal, it's a good set of reeds. Shrouds like to rub holes in the frame too, peek under the shroud where it crosses over the spar. I'm replacing my frame for this. Fwd a pic when you get that puppy.

I'll show my motor guy this thread and he will be sure to look for all these things, thank you very much!

Do the stadium plates for an 04-07 fit the 03? I can't find any that say 03. Thanks again!

I'll show my motor guy this thread and he will be sure to look for all these things, thank you very much!

Do the stadium plates for an 04-07 fit the 03? I can't find any that say 03. Thanks again!

I'd double check with cycra, mine came with an adapter block that simply bolts to the front of the upper tc, with a threaded hole in the top to attach the plate. I've read some tap their clamp, I'll pass on that. The block works perfect. It's prob about 3/4"x 1/2" just big enough to attach to factory front clamp mount, and to tap a small hole on top for cycra plate mount.:lol:

No. Cycra plate has a top bolt. Stock plate has a front bolt. u need 04 or newer upper clamps. all plastics are interchangeable 02-07. front number plates match on 02-03. 04-07s.

cr5-1.jpg