Sign in to follow this  

cr250 cylinder options

hey guys as you might know i need a new cylinder for my 01 cr250

what are some other options as the 01 is on back order and i want a NEW oem cylinder, and piston

will all 92-01 cylinders work with the 01 exhaust valve/ head

can i run the flat top piton and 01 head on 92-96 cylinders?

what is the best year for off road racing. i have heard mixed reviews of the 99

is the 01 really the best over all ?

everything is interchangable as long as you run the proper head with the proper piston.

if you choose to run the domed piston, youll need a matching head.

if you choose to run the flat top piston, youll need a matching head.

the cylinder itself does not matter.

i dont want to start anything too crazy, since i have no experience with any cr250's outside of the 00 and 01, but i seriously cant remember how many times ive seen the 96 porting referenced to as the best all around porting. could just be internet regurgitation, but its enough for me to take notice.

id go with a 96 for woods/best all around.

they may not have the best over rev, but they pull hard from the bottom. and keep on pulling had in the mid. it drops off a bit at the top end, but who cares!! grab another gear!

The 99 porting is great for woods riding because it has more low-mid power. It's also the cheapest of the bunch at $280 through cycle central powersports.

The 99 porting is great for woods riding because it has more low-mid power. It's also the cheapest of the bunch at $280 through cycle central powersports.

They got good prices but damn, takes a while. Three weeks here for OEM reeds and water pump seals. They said the order was "huge" which sort of slowed it down they claim. :lol:

Just be prepared to wait it out.

well after talking to U.S chrome and Ken oconnor racing im sending in my cylinder to get checked for warranty, scott even said " it dosen't happen often but welds let go, if it did we will fix it "

i really want to get my 01 cylinder fixed as it is ported and my squish is set up for it, how ever do you guys think it will be reliable ?

ken said in order to do it right they need to grind out the whole crack ( maybe even all the way through the wall) and then tig new material and grind down to match the port on the other side

just in case we forgot this is the crack

cylendeycrack.jpg

cylender.jpg

oh and nothing to do with the exhaust has been ported in any way so i still don't know what caused this crack to happen in the first place.. this cylinder has been plated 2 times already is it possible that its been plated to many times and has now become weak ?

IMO it appears a little tight in that location--judging by the score running up the cylinder. Probably caused it to crack from the pressure.

Reliability if fixed correctly--90%??

and when i get this fixed or another cylinder i am going to run OEM or Pro-x pistons and change them at 35hours.. i just feel better knowing the piston is softer

ken said in order to do it right they need to grind out the whole crack ( maybe even all the way through the wall) and then tig new material and grind down to match the port on the other side

thats how it should of been done the first time. your better off getting new cylinder at this point. plating has to come back off now before any grinding and weldin. then hope you have a 20 year veteran welder than can do the job. and you run the risk of more cracks, probly not likely with a good welder but it could happen. if it was a rare bike that parts were impossible to find then ya try to fix it but them honda cylinders are sold on every street corner. throw it in the trash and get new one. what most people dont realize is theres cast lines in them ports and the heat from weld makes them pull apart. plus you may need to machine the head and base surfaces if the heat distorted the gasket areas. without the right person behind the steering wheel your gonna have alot of problem with a welded jug. anyone can weld but very few can do it right.

i want to see if us chrome would give me a 2000 cylinder they have on ebay for the waranty , both uschrome and ken said it could be fixed no problem so now idk what to do :lol:

wasnt us chrome supposed to fix it right the first time ?? ya i would see if theyll swap you a different jug. i also said yours could be fixed. but that all depends if you got the right person fixing it. got weld on top, bottom, both sub ports of mine so ya it can be done.