Sign in to follow this  

engine transplant

hi all....i'm bill mears, hailing from Concrete, WA.....i'm 51 years old and i just can't get enough of riding my motorcycle......i built my own little track on my 4 acres.....too small to get my xr500 out of second gear but i live in an area full of trails and mountains so when i need to open 'er up, i head for the hills!

my question today is: i'm wanting to put my 1980 dual shock xr500r motor into my 1882 xl250 mono shock frame. how difficult is this transplant...?

my next question is i'm wanting to replace my spoke wheels with a set of mag wheels.....i need to know what options are out there as far as wheel brand, i.e., honda, yamaha, etc., and the proper year of said brand....

any help out there would be most helpful.....

the reason for the transplant is basically i want a street legal 500 with the upgraded suspension on my 250....i roached the motor in the 250 so the frame is just collecting rust....

I would go visit the Vintage section - you will find guys there who are more familiar with this motor and frame

Sorry- I got nothing on the wheel question

As far as the motor transplant,the 500 is MUCH bigger, using the small single shock frame would be like saving the wheels and building a new frame.

Besides the single (steel,non-adjustable)shock of an XL is worse than a nice pair of after market dual shocks.