Sign in to follow this  

05 KX250 cylinder head

Measured my head at work and it was anywhere between .001"-.005" warped. Would it be ok to mill it .005" to fix the warp-ness? (new word).

BTW Millinieum had to deck the top of my cylinder .002" to clean up a little detonation. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!:lol:

That much won't make that much of a difference. With that small of a true, you can easily do it yourself with just some sandpaper and a good, hard flat surface. I use a 12x12" piece of granite I scored. A good surface of a formica countertop will work also. Tape a piece of 240 grit to it and sand in a smooth motion back & forth. Rotate the head periodically. As you do it, and watch the surface, shiny areas and dark areas. Once all shiny, you're true. Finish it off with a piece of 400 grit.

Or you can order a head from Phathead. Will be the best investment you ever make. Looks good, better cooling, interchangable domes & oh yea, looks good too. LOL

phatheadracing.com

Thats the way I used to do it. I would tape some sand paper to a piece of glass and run the head over it in a figure 8. Now that I have some access to milling machines I figured I would give it shot. So a total of .007" removed should not make much of a difference then? I have always ran a 50/50 mix pump/ race fuel with this bike.

will the phatheads make it so you dont have to run race gas? my bike pings with 93 and i dont feel like running race gas all the time.

The Phatheads give you a choice of 2 domes when you buy them. With a phathead you actually reduce the chance of detonation (pinging) due to better cooling. (larger waterjackets).

The Phatheads give you a choice of 2 domes when you buy them. With a phathead you actually reduce the chance of detonation (pinging) due to better cooling. (larger waterjackets).

They run a better squish band too, don't they?