Sign in to follow this  

125 or 250f

I can't decide whether I want a 125 or a newer EFI 250f (RMZ or CRF)

I own a 08 CRF 250R now.

I like the price of the 125's and how much cheaper they are to maintain plus they will improve my riding.

What I like about the 250f is that it is nicer to ride, has more power when you need it, and it has the latest technology.

What I don't like about the 125 is that I have never owned a 2 stroke before so it would take some getting used to. Also that it is slower than the 250f so it would be harder to compete against the 250f's in my class

What I dont like about the 250f is that they put a much bigger dent in the wallet and they have a lot more things that can go wrong with them.

Give me your thoughts!!

my thoughts are that with regular maintenance, a 250f will provide plenty of service. I have had both, but think that you may really regret a 125 if you have never owned one prior to your 250f... i

Since you already have the CRF Id say to stick with it. New enough to compete on and the money that it will take to set a new bike up for, you could have your 08 pretty darn bulletproof.

I prefer 125s, way more fun to ride... but from a racing standpoint the 250 will be the better buy. My only question is why not a 250 smoker? Best of both worlds... you can run it with the 250f's and it has even more power and when you get good on it, you can run it with the 450s and be competetive!

Since you already have the CRF Id say to stick with it. New enough to compete on and the money that it will take to set a new bike up for, you could have your 08 pretty darn bulletproof.

I prefer 125s, way more fun to ride... but from a racing standpoint the 250 will be the better buy. My only question is why not a 250 smoker? Best of both worlds... you can run it with the 250f's and it has even more power and when you get good on it, you can run it with the 450s and be competetive!

you can run a 2t 250 in both class's ??

i dont think your allowed , but could be wrong

Why even consider a 125 now that they've bumped the displacement limit up to 150? I was surprised to see KTM bring the 125 back this year since everyone says what a better engine the 150 is.

Check your local track rules. Call them and ask if it can be run. If you get good on the 250 2t you'll smoke everyone. If you dont want a 250 2t i'd say go with a 250f. 125's are fun and all but for me i'd like one to mess around on, its a lot harder to go fast on them. My lap times dropped so much just switching to a 250f. The only thing i miss is the lightness and the easiness to start it. Im going to a efi bike soon from a 09 crf250r so it should be for the better.

The only class I could run the 250 2-stroke in would be in the 450 junior class and the GP Junior class.

I think a 250 stroke would be a little bit too much for me though I only weigh 120-130 lbs....lol

The only class I could run the 250 2-stroke in would be in the 450 junior class and the GP Junior class.

I think a 250 stroke would be a little bit too much for me though I only weigh 120-130 lbs....lol

ya then get a 250f or 125, either would be a good choice

im not a big fan of the ktm's, and plus they are hard to come by.

As the others have stated, it all depends on your track rules. In my local series I can race my 250 2t in all 3 classes. Most amatuer organizations allow equal displacement in the 250 class, and also allow them in the 450 class and open class but they are pretty lax with their rules. I run mine in all 3 on race days even though I usually dont. Another track I race at will only allow you to race 250 or 450 (one or the other) and open class, so I can only run it in 2 classes.

My buddy also raced a 125 in all 3 classes from time to time b/c he says he gets bored on his 250s and 450s but he is super fast! He smoked most of the feild in B class. I even saw him race his 125 in 450A once this season and he finished 7th out of 18 riders. Not too bad for a 125. Doesnt do it very often now that he moved up to A and is competing for money.

I can't decide whether I want a 125 or a newer EFI 250f (RMZ or CRF)

Give me your thoughts!!

If you are trail riding for fun, or racing off-road, absolutely get a 125. Especially when you can get a brand-new condition CR125 for under $2k - who can argue with that? OTOH, if you are racing MX, stick with the 4-stroke - a 125 is too much of a disadvantage on a MX track. Get a Honda in either case.

JayC

If you are trail riding for fun, or racing off-road, absolutely get a 125. Especially when you can get a brand-new condition CR125 for under $2k - who can argue with that? OTOH, if you are racing MX, stick with the 4-stroke - a 125 is too much of a disadvantage on a MX track. Get a Honda in either case.

JayC

I wouldnt limit my options to a Cr if you get a 125... there are better 125s out there IMO. The CR has a pretty weak motor in comparisson. Not that they are bad bikes b/c with a little work they can be screamers.

If you are going with a 250f its hard to make a debatable argument against the CRF.

I wouldnt limit my options to a Cr if you get a 125... there are better 125s out there IMO. The CR has a pretty weak motor in comparisson. Not that they are bad bikes b/c with a little work they can be screamers.

If you are going with a 250f its hard to make a debatable argument against the CRF.

I dont know how many friends you know who own hondas, but ive had two friends who have had to put in ss valves after 50 and also a crank, could have been a coincidence, my bike however has some good hours on it and all valves are in spec. I think its going to come down to how hard you ride and how well you are on maintenance for the reliability to be up top

IMO that is a fluke incident... there have been issues reported with every new 250f out there, just look in the 250f brand specific forums and have your pick at issues. Kawi putting cranks through the cases. Suzukis having valve issues. Havnt heard of too many issues with the Yamaha, and never rode on of the 10+ Yz250fs but the motor is said to be sluggish compared to the rest of the feild. Know a few guys with KTMs but no issues come to mind from them or on here.

Thats the chance you take when you have a high strung and tempremental race engine between your legs, and its no different with any brand. BTW I know quite a few guys with Hondas. More than any other brand!

IMO that is a fluke incident... there have been issues reported with every new 250f out there, just look in the 250f brand specific forums and have your pick at issues. Kawi putting cranks through the cases. Suzukis having valve issues. Havnt heard of too many issues with the Yamaha, and never rode on of the 10+ Yz250fs but the motor is said to be sluggish compared to the rest of the feild. Know a few guys with KTMs but no issues come to mind from them or on here.

Thats the chance you take when you have a high strung and tempremental race engine between your legs, and its no different with any brand. BTW I know quite a few guys with Hondas. More than any other brand!

Not trying to put down hondas considering that i own one. I believe every bike has a problem IF you dont maintain it well or ride it extremely hard. I also have read about most of the newer bikes, hondas ive heard cranks and valves, kawi something about shooting rods, suzuki tranny problems, ktm something with the efi. The only one i havent really heard problems from is yamaha but like you said the power is sluggish, my friend owns a yz250f with fmf pipe and still we feel our bikes faster.

Not trying to put down hondas considering that i own one. I believe every bike has a problem IF you dont maintain it well or ride it extremely hard. I also have read about most of the newer bikes, hondas ive heard cranks and valves, kawi something about shooting rods, suzuki tranny problems, ktm something with the efi. The only one i havent really heard problems from is yamaha but like you said the power is sluggish, my friend owns a yz250f with fmf pipe and still we feel our bikes faster.

I agree... I was trying to say that the problems reported with these bikes compared to the number of bikes sold, it pales in comparison. Honda is probably the most sold/popular bike among amateur racers and you may get 1 or 2 out of 1000 that has a "common" issue. That to me is just bad luck. Same could be said for all above mentioned brands.

As you mentioned, most issues that I see are after too many hours with "lack of maintenence".