First Ride - '12 KTM 350 EXC - US Model

I've been waiting for my 350 EXC to show up for months and it finally came in. I had my first ride on it today and did the "hard" break in - riding it like I stole it. If nothing else, that sure is a fun way to break in a new bike.

Here is the before picture - a few mods already:

IMG_0010.jpg

Swapped out the rear tail light and blinkers, put on some EE hand guards with SICASS roost deflectors with integrated blinkers, put some Rallye grips on it, and a carbon header guard. Still waiting for my skid plate to come in.

Here's a close up of the cleaned up tail section:

IMG_0017.jpg

And here's the beast after I got it dirty:

IMG_0021.jpg

Some initial impressions after about 40 miles:

The motor is a gem, the mid range rips. I'd like a bit more down low but it was geared really high and the mapping is stone stock. The power is very smooth but there is a definite hit in the mid-range that is fun. It wheelies with ease.

There is a really annoying lean back fire on decel - again, remapping will probably address this.

It turns great, point it where you want. Steering is very light.

No noticeable headshake at speed, but limited experience here so far.

Feels very light.

Suspension is way too soft for me (I'm 200 lbs). It's hard to judge how well the suspenders work until I get the correct springs on-board.

This is my first KTM and the ergos felt great - I was comfortable on the bike right away. I'm coming off a Honda CRF 250X.

Brakes were good.

Clutch was smooth.

EFI is awesome, started right up, ran clean - no bog or hesitation. I flamed it out a few times but I think this is more due to the high gearing and the fact that I'm, coming off a Rekluse and need to re-learn how to use that funny lever on the left side of the bars.

Idle was pretty fast stock, I adjusted it down a bit.

Gearing is very high at 14/45, thinking of changing it out to 13/50. It definetely is too high stock for serious trail work.

All in all a good first outing - can't wait to do some serious riding with it and getting it out on some single track. Looks great, runs great.

Out the door - by the way, this bike was about $11K with tax, freight, etc... Never spent more for a dirt bike - hope it continues to please. Hard to believe its street legal!

?

...i just picked up mine from the dealer a couple days ago, taking it for first trip this weekend. ... i can't wait. .

i also replaced the big ugly stock rear/tail light and put the sicass racing one, i did not order the signal lights yet though, did it require anything but the lights? on their site they mention the lights may require a "smart flasher" or "ktm connecter" ... did you have order either of these also? .... i can't wait to go ride... I'm coming off a crf450r so i hope the 350 is enough power to to keep me happy, but from my trips around the block yesterday when i got it home i think i am going to love it.

i also replaced the big ugly stock rear/tail light and put the sicass racing one, i did not order the signal lights yet though, did it require anything but the lights? on their site they mention the lights may require a "smart flasher" or "ktm connecter" ... did you have order either of these also? ....

You do have to get the smart flasher and wiring kit or the LEDs will mess with everything and it just won't work - its a bit tricky to install but not too bad - just need to cut some wires and strip them, then splice in their kit in a few places. They come with some connectors that I couldn't crimp so I replaced theirs with some that were easier to crimp without a special crimping tool. Once its all together its super clean.

... and did the "hard" break in - riding it like I stole it. If nothing else, that sure is a fun way to break in a new bike.

Smart man. I always do the hard break in method and have never had problems with my bikes as opposed to friends who have done the soft method and have problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Swapped out the rear tail light and blinkers,

Here's a close up of the cleaned up tail section:

IMG_0017.jpg

The truth is that the modifications that you have carried out are very subtle but useful.

I also have the EXC350 F.

Could you tell me where the blinkers that are come in the picture have bought?

?