Sign in to follow this  

2002 wr250

is this a good year for the wr? I've found one for a reasonable price and am interested in a trail bike that I can keep for a while. I am also considering a KDX200. Any idea how they would compare?

I am 5'9" and about 195. I rode for years but stopped over 15 years ago--am getting back in to trail riding with my 10 yr old son.

EDIT: also considering a 2002 KTM 200 EXC

thanks...

If you buy a wr250f, get at least a 2003 or newer. The 2001 and 2002 models are difficult to start, and are limited to a kickstarter. I was looking at the same two bikes as you, but decided on a 2005 wr 250f because it has way better suspension than the kdx 200. You can put kx 250 forks on the kdx, but the rear shock still won't be as good as a more modern design. I don't know anything except the ktms, except they make great woods bikes, but they do seem to have a higher rate of unreliability than the wr or the kdx. If you want reliability first and foremost, buy the kdx. If you want performance, buy the ktm. The wr250f is a middle ground between the two. I really like the suspension on it, but the ktm will be faster. Also, the wr is very reliable, especially for a 250f.

Also, if you buy the wr, put heavier springs on it. I'm not entirely sure, maybe someone can back me up on this, but the wr is sprung for 160lb riders.

Edited by Nick Merrell
new info

Unfortunately my choices are very limited due to budget. If I could afford it I would probably get a KTM 300 based on all the great reviews I read. The WR I was writing about is already sold but I just found another one and it is also a 2002. It appears to be a one owner and extremely well maintained. The KDX and the KTM are close together so I could theoretically ride them both but the WR is at the limit of practical driving distance for a purchase.

I should probably stick with the KDX but that WR is sure a good looking bike--and all those years of riding Yamaha when I was young makes me a little biased...tough decision...

I don't know anything except the ktms, except they make great woods bikes, but they do seem to have a higher rate of unreliability than the wr or the kdx. If you want reliability first and foremost, buy the kdx. If you want performance, buy the ktm. The wr250f is a middle ground between the two. I really like the suspension on it, but the ktm will be faster. Also, the wr is very reliable, especially for a 250f.

Also, if you buy the wr, put heavier springs on it. I'm not entirely sure, maybe someone can back me up on this, but the wr is sprung for 160lb riders.

I recently owned a KDX220 and I currently own a 2001 WR426 and a 2007 KTM 300 XC. I would have to disagree that KTMs are even slightly unreliable. I know many riders that own KTMs..from 200 2ts to 530 4ts and the record of reliability is very solid.

Op

The KTM trail specific 2ts will outperform the KDX in every way imaginable...I know this from experience. I would agree that the KDXs are reliable bikes, but no more reliable than a KTM. The WR is a good bike, but the 250s are a little sluggish in my opinion. The weight penalty of moving up to a WR426/450 is well worth the power gain. Of course, you dont get the elec start until 2003 and they can be a little tricky to start.

i have owned all of these bikes

KTM 200 great bike, best off the three

KDX 200 great trail bike limited by the suspension and frame geomerty to trail only

WR 250 heavy slow and needs electric strat

the kdx is a good woods bike very reliable but in stock form is slow but very easy to ride.

the 2002 wr is difficult to start because no auto decompression, you can fix that with a different cam from the 03-05 wr.

the KDX is easy to start, easy to maintain, easy to make faster with pipe and airbox mods and both the wr and kdx are limited by the suspension to trail duty.

if you are a faster rider get the KTM it will have the strongest engine and best suspension of the three.

good luck

That KDX with new springs for your weight, if in good condition, would make for a great GREAT trail bike!

im throwing my vote in for a yz250....tons of great deals on them, nice suspension, a few mods like fww and such (if you want) turn it into a formidable woods machine...

A YZ250 can be made into a formidable woods machine, but its alot of bike for someone to start back on after taking a 15 year lay off. Its alot more bike than the others mentioned. However, I would rather have a clean 200 EXC than a YZ for woods riding. The KTM is woods ready out of the box...and a YZ250 is alot of snappy power for cruising around with a 10 year old.