Sign in to follow this  

front end always high comeing off jumps

after rideing for just 7 years now you would think i would have the simple stuff like this down by now but i dont. my front tire is always higher than my back right from when i take off untill i land. it much harder to control the bike in the air when your front end is high so i need to stop this. to bring a whip back you would normaly turn the bars all the way the opposite way you are whiping but when your front end high this has much less effect at bringing the bike straight. had a bad wreck because of this at the begenning of aug. that caused a broken collar bone that is still not fully healed yet due to some complications with it. I either need to quite rideing mx or get to be a better rider. i like it a lot so i dont want to quit. i dont feel comfortable in the air with the front end low but its somethink that just has to happen, could be suspension too i guess

take this with a grain of salt. i know a lot more about the mechanical side of things versus suspension but i have noticed 1 weird thing about my bike. adjusting my high speed knob seriously effects how my bike reacts on jumps.

using the same rebound and low speed compression, if i adjust my high speed knob inwards, my front end goes high over jumps, if i adjust my high speed knob outwards, my front end goes low over jump.

id hate to give bad advice but if you have a high speed compression knob you may want to try messing with that and see how it effects your jumping. with my high speed knob adjusted outwards the rear end seems to want to kick up ever so slightly and the bike wants to "suck up" under me which feels really comfortable and natural.

i cant really grasp why the high speed adjustment would have anything to do with jumping as i thought that would be a low speed application.

I'd first look at the suspension, sounds to me like the rear is too soft and what's happening is its loading up and not rebounding at all. This would cause the nose to be high over every single jump, no matter what the rider input is.

I learned a little while ago, if you don't wanna get hurt, get your suspension dialed in properly. Motocross is not a joke, you can't just get on a bike, ride it to the max year after year and not dial it in properly. Suspension needs to be re-built every season at absolute minimal. Using the proper spring rates and getting the sag dialed in properly are also super critical. Most suspension tuners won't give you back suspension they feel is dangerous, so my guess is the OP's suspension has never been re-built or setup properly.

I had a serious suspension related crash recently from a simple rebound setting issue (after re-building the forks I forgot to dial in the rebound) and the resulting crash was horrible. I'm extremely lucky to have walked away from it (concussion, bruised ribs, etc) but it was a wake up call and since then I don't get on a bike that doesn't have its suspension dialed in properly. Good suspension also feels awesome, it makes you quicker because it does exactly what you expect it to do. I have full Factory Connection worx stuff on my bike and WOW, its absolutely amazing! It makes you so much more confident and that is the key to going quicker in motocross.

the bike is a 2006 crf250r. i have been rideing it since 07 so know the bike pretty well, well enoughf to know that it always wants to fly noes high. you guys have made it very obvious that i need to take my suspension more seriously if i want to make it in this sport. to the poster above that stated the OPs suspension has never been rebuilt or set up properly....you for the most part at 100% right. i adjusted the sag, messed with some clickers and changed fork seals and oil many years ago but thats it. the problem i have with doing anything with the suspension is the price, but if i want to get any better in this sport it looks like thats gonna be mandatory.

i dont chop throttle off the face btw, IMO i am pretty smooth of the face of jumps

to the poster above that stated the OPs suspension has never been rebuilt or set up properly....you for the most part at 100% right. i adjusted the sag, messed with some clickers and changed fork seals and oil many years ago but thats it. the problem i have with doing anything with the suspension is the price, but if i want to get any better in this sport it looks like thats gonna be mandatory.

Yea, its a pretty easy diagnosis! heh :lol:

One might argue that money is best spent on education (training) but thats assuming your bike works properly. I'd rather have a working bike, that I feel comfortable on, then education that might or might not make me any quicker.

video is worth one thousand posts. Either set it up off to the side of a jump or get a friend to film you. No matter how bad the suspension is, with adequate throttle control and body position, you should be able to land even or nose down.

No matter how bad the suspension is, with adequate throttle control and body position, you should be able to land even or nose down.

If you're struggling to ride around the issues on your bike, you will never become a proficient rider because you will be constantly scared of the machine.

Yes, a good rider with years worth of experience can ride around issues with bikes. I ride a variety of other bikes on a regular basis and I have learned to ride around issues for sure, but I don't get anywhere near the same level of confidence. That confidence is what you need to go quicker and thats the whole goal.

stop chopping the throttle on the jump face?
Chopping the throttle would cause nose down. Failing to get off the gas as soon as you leave the jump and/or reving too high (too low a gear) would cause nose high. Suspension aside, try hitting the jumps a gear higher and see what happens....

the bike is a 2006 crf250r. i have been rideing it since 07 so know the bike pretty well, well enoughf to know that it always wants to fly noes high. you guys have made it very obvious that i need to take my suspension more seriously if i want to make it in this sport. to the poster above that stated the OPs suspension has never been rebuilt or set up properly....you for the most part at 100% right. i adjusted the sag, messed with some clickers and changed fork seals and oil many years ago but thats it. the problem i have with doing anything with the suspension is the price, but if i want to get any better in this sport it looks like thats gonna be mandatory.

i dont chop throttle off the face btw, IMO i am pretty smooth of the face of jumps

It's a rebound problem. Get your bike's rear end reacting acceptably in chop first. It's probably set to high now - the bike will get lively with less rebound damping. I like to start with nothing and blast through a rock bed. I increase rebound until the bike's rear no longer pinballs around, but just a click or two. I set my rebound to where the rear end *just barely* gets stable. Then, adjust the rebound clickers on your forks until the bike flys straight off jumps. Front end high turn clickers clockwise, front end low - turn counterclockwise.

JayC

Chopping the throttle would cause nose down. Failing to get off the gas as soon as you leave the jump and/or reving too high (too low a gear) would cause nose high. Suspension aside, try hitting the jumps a gear higher and see what happens....

Get some seat time on a four stroke and then tell me that again. With the four stroke engine braking, letting off the throttle on the jump causes nose down. Sudden throttle chop on the face will send u nose high everytime.

Try again boss

Get some seat time on a four stroke and then tell me that again. With the four stroke engine braking, letting off the throttle on the jump causes nose down. Sudden throttle chop on the face will send u nose high everytime.

Try again boss

:lol: sudden chop is letting off the throttle, no?

I'm far from expert, but I always hold steady throttle through the jump face. If I let off too soon it's nose down and if I let off too late it's nose high. Of course on a 2T, but I have jumped 4T with similar results. Also, panic rev brings nose up, brake tap (decel, letting off throttle) brings nose down. I've been wrong before....

:lol: sudden chop is letting off the throttle, no?

I'm far from expert, but I always hold steady throttle through the jump face. If I let off too soon it's nose down and if I let off too late it's nose high. Of course on a 2T, but I have jumped 4T with similar results. Also, panic rev brings nose up, brake tap (decel, letting off throttle) brings nose down. I've been wrong before....

yes, chopping the throttle would be letting off. he's got his terms mixed up and thats where the confusion is coming from. what he isnt realizing is he told you that you were wrong, but repeated everything you said and said its correct.

It's a rebound problem. Get your bike's rear end reacting acceptably in chop first. It's probably set to high now - the bike will get lively with less rebound damping. I like to start with nothing and blast through a rock bed. I increase rebound until the bike's rear no longer pinballs around, but just a click or two. I set my rebound to where the rear end *just barely* gets stable. Then, adjust the rebound clickers on your forks until the bike flys straight off jumps. Front end high turn clickers clockwise, front end low - turn counterclockwise.

JayC

now that you say that my rear end does seem to always wander around, even when i grip with the legs. probally why i can never seem to master whoops. want to send my suspension to FCR but when they start asking me what i want out of it, i may not know what to say, since i dont know what a good tuned suspension feels like.

pretty much the end of the rideing season here, will have to tackle this this spring

pretty much the end of the rideing season here, will have to tackle this this spring

End of the season? I have two words for you: "ice screws".

JayC

Everyone wants to go right to the clickers and thats the last place to start. First off do you know what springs you have on your bike? Are they the correct springs for your weight, secondly if you are always nose up on jumps than I would take a look at your riding style and see if you aren't too far back on the bike.

Re; suspension: If your springs are not the correct springs but you cant afford to change them, at least make sure the machine is balanced front to back first. If the suspension is stock, find the recommended settings first to get you going and only then do you even think about touching the highspeed rebound because that where the fine tuning for front to back balance happens. Do you see where I'm going with this?

It's ALL about the bike being balanced. proper body postion, and finally throttle control. Also on final note, Some novice riders sometimes develope a bad habit of standing too straight (knees close to locking) on the face of the jump this can leading too nose up situations a well.

It's all stock. I am proally close to 180 with gear on. I realize body position makes a big difference and I believe my positioning is good. Rear tire always seems like it wants to swap around so some good suspension tuneing can't hurt

And ridding a dirt bike in snow is no fun IMO. Getting a sled this year

It's all stock. I am proally close to 180 with gear on. I realize body position makes a big difference and B Rear tire always seems like it wants to swap around so some good suspension tuneing can't hurt

And ridding a dirt bike in snow is no fun IMO. Getting a sled this year

i just started mx at the end of this season(30yrs old) had the same problem as you always a little nose high, sometimes alot. you think you are forward enough but i bet you are not, the more i forced myself forward on the take off the better the bike flew, now after 6 track days the seat will come up to my butt at the highest point of the jump, way more confident now. get you head over the bars and feel like the bike is pushing you off the jump, not you holding on. helped me a ton. good luck