Been a member for a while. Been a lurker even longer. I have a

1994 XR650L

17000 miles.

Supertrapp Exhaust

Uni Air Filter

Stock Jet's (At least I think)

Dave's Carb Mods

De Smogged.

So, here is my dilemma. About two months ago, I was riding the bike home from work one morning and as I rolled up the on ramp, it sputtered, coughed, and died. I went to restart it and it just simply would not turn over, and by that I mean the starter didnt have enough oomph to get the motor to start. I ended up pushing it home and putting it in the garage. I went out the following morning and it fired right up.

About a month ago, I resealed, checked, cleaned and just generally went through the motor and carb. Everything was in spec and in good condition. I put new gaskets and an entire seal kit in it, and was excited to ride it. I rode it around my home for a day, and all seemed to be well.

I took it down to Tucson to ride up in the mountains with my friend. New tires, refreshed motor and I was a happy man...for most of the day. Towards the end of the day, it started its sputtering and coughing and backfiring again. I was able to keep it running long enough by keeping my hand in the throttle.

I got it home in the truck, took it out...wouldn't you know it...it started, ran and seemed fine... That is until a few days ago. It repeated its off ramp performance in almost the same spot. I noted a strong smell of gas, so today, I removed the carb (stock carb) cleaned it, and put it all back togther. I did find the slow jet clogged up badly, and the air/fuel adjustment screw clogged up pretty badly. I put it back together, and fired the bike up. It came to life quickly, and seemed to be happier... Boy was I wrong.

I took it for a ride this evening, and I made it about 20 to 30 minutes from my house before the sputtering started. Incidentally, thats about how far the off ramp is from my work, so its almost when the engine hits a certain temp. Anyhow, it dies on me. Only this time, it fires back up the first time. I ride it a bit further and decide to take it on the freeway to see what happens under WOT. I get out on the freeway and in 5th gear its a DOG... I have to keep the rpms up and keep it in 4th to stay running. I get off at an off ramp, close the throttle...it backfires and dies.... After 15 minutes of it not starting...meaning the starter physically could not start it... I tried it that ONE last time before I made the call for a ride home...and it starts... So, I ride to a spot where I know a parking garage is... I sneak into the parking garage, and I begin to do some testing...I cannot get it to sputter at all in the garage...WOT, idle, puttering around...its running fine.

I shut down the bike, perplexed and just sit there for a few minutes. I goto start it, and its vapor locked again (best way I can describe it)...Good thing there are ramps in the parking garages... I put the bike in first gear, pull in the clutch and roll down the ramp...just at the bottom, I release the clutch and with a resounding POP it fires to life... I ride out of the garage and head home... only for it to die once more on me... After pushstarting it again because the starter wouldnt do it, I was able to get it home...

I need your help guys.

It seems to be that its running to rich. I've ranit without the airfilter or the side cover, and it doesnt seem to change a darn thing. I've cleaned the carb. I've adjusted the valves. I've done just about all I can do with fuel. I am starting to think it could be spark problem, perhaps the stator...I dunno. IU am about ready to take it to honda and pay the outrageous prices they want to go through it, but it might just save me an ulcer... Of course, I could just sell it... Please TT, help me.

Thanks,

James:foul:

A. I don't think its physically the motor. When its running, it runs like a raped ape.

B. It could be a fuel issue (rich / lean) but its not giving me a clear indication of which. I am leaning towards rich.

C. It could be an electrical issue, but I would think that it would be more constant of a problem, and would not cause the quote un quote vapor lock issue

Sounds a bit like a CDI problem,,Not that I'm an expert on them..The "unable to get it to crank over" sounds a bit strange though,,Beg or borrow another 650L CDI and swap it over ,,Take it for a decent test ride taking a mate with the truck just in case it conks out again..

Sounds a bit like a CDI problem,,Not that I'm an expert on them..The "unable to get it to crank over" sounds a bit strange though,,Beg or borrow another 650L CDI and swap it over ,,Take it for a decent test ride taking a mate with the truck just in case it conks out again..

Thats exactly what I was thinking while i was reading, CDI. You obviously had carb issues too if your pilot and air screw were fouled. Put another pilot in her and check your fuel filters. The coughing and starts and stops sound like the CDI though.

CDI sounds like a likely culprit, but it also sounds like your fuel system could use a good flushing and a change of filters too.

I agree the CDI is a probable candidate but don't rule out the ignition coil or crap in the carb if a CDI swap doesn't fix it.

Hey guys...thanks for all of the information. I've also looked into the CDI, and I plan on getting a new one shortly, but I still have to scratch my head and wonder why there seems to be a compression lockup. The best way I can describe it is like the cylinder walls are getting fuel washed and its just locking down the motor. This morning, I went out, and it still was vapor locked up. I removed the fuel tank. It then started and ran on what fuel was in the bowl. I removed the carb, tore into it, cleaned everything again. I also went ahead and checked all of my wiring on the bike. All looks well. I decided to check my valve clearances again. They were a little out of spec, but I corrected it.

One interesting thing I noticed is that it appears that the right exhaust valve (right side as sitting on the bike) is sticking. I ran the bike through its cycle manually using a socket, and every now and then there was a pronounced click. The click was the exhaust valve clicking back into the TDC position. So I know I have to address that...

So I will look into the CDI (thanks guys) and I am wondering if the sticking exhaust valve is causing problems. I am going to tear into it, and I suspect its either bent, or burred somewhere.

Seems like I spend more time fixing this bike, than riding it...but ce la vie...Its a love like no other. A love hate relationship...lol

Although...(rationalizing in my head) a weak or dying CDI would cause the apparent rich condition...If the CDI is failing...then the spark weakens or goes away. But the carb will still pump fuel into the bike, causing it to flood out. To much fuel will wash the cylinder wall down with fuel, causing it to "lock" up...

Is my thinking correct? Just rambling... I just want to ride and fixing this thing is important to me...

Anyone know where to get a CDI cheap yet reliable as possible?

not much point in even saying it........cdi, and sure no spark it's going to fill with fuel.

you can fix it yourself, just search it on here.

not much point in even saying it........cdi, and sure no spark it's going to fill with fuel.

you can fix it yourself, just search it on here.

Read the thread. Going to tackle it on Friday, my next day off. Thanks again for everyones help... TT rules:worthy:

Read the thread. Going to tackle it on Friday, my next day off. Thanks again for everyones help... TT rules:worthy:

You're welcome. :lol: Be very careful, and try not to cut into the printed circuit board when you remove the back of the case from the CDI unit. :cheers:

I also encourage you to buy a new CDI unit; you can purchase one from any of the online, Honda parts vendors. Install the new CDI unit, and go riding. :) You can keep your repaired CDI unit for a spare. :smirk:

Spud :banghead:

One interesting thing I noticed is that it appears that the right exhaust valve (right side as sitting on the bike) is sticking. I ran the bike through its cycle manually using a socket, and every now and then there was a pronounced click. The click was the exhaust valve clicking back into the TDC position. So I know I have to address that...

that might just be the compression release working,

we are assuming you are turning the engine counter clockwise.:lol:

Get a new CDI...keep the repaired unit as a spare..i never go anywhere far without a spare,,pushing a 350 pound pig out of the woods is not my idea of fun:smirk:

B

Hey guys...thanks for all of the information. I've also looked into the CDI, and I plan on getting a new one shortly, but I still have to scratch my head and wonder why there seems to be a compression lockup. The best way I can describe it is like the cylinder walls are getting fuel washed and its just locking down the motor. This morning, I went out, and it still was vapor locked up. I removed the fuel tank. It then started and ran on what fuel was in the bowl. I removed the carb, tore into it, cleaned everything again. I also went ahead and checked all of my wiring on the bike. All looks well. I decided to check my valve clearances again. They were a little out of spec, but I corrected it.

So I will look into the CDI (thanks guys) and I am wondering if the sticking exhaust valve is causing problems. I am going to tear into it, and I suspect its either bent, or burred somewhere.

Seems like I spend more time fixing this bike, than riding it...but ce la vie...Its a love like no other. A love hate relationship...lol

the valve problem is probably the auto compression release it will stay open a little bit till the rpms get up a bit but turning it over with the socket will make it stay open that is the click you hear

It also sounds like you may have a gas vent issue. If it runs and then sputters and dies, then runs again try popping the gas cap. If you hear a woosh of air, then there is a problem with the vent.

Good luck and I am hoping it is a simple fix!