2012 KX450F Head Light

Wondering if anyone has had any luck in a well priced easy to install headlight kit (that looks good) for the fuel injected KX450F's? - cant seem to find any that look easy to install, or any instructions on the web of whats required

I know that the KXF has a great 12V power supply but was wondering if there is any risk to the rest of the system by running a light?

Looking at doing small enduro races again.

thanks!

as far as I have come across No, there really aren't any "easy" ways to light a 09 on up KX450. I have an 11 and reliable stators that produce enough power for lights just aren't out there. Yes, the KX will produce 12v but it isn't enough to run much (if any) lighting.

What I did is took the stock 450x shell off my 05 Honda (which has it's own TT X2 HID anyway), converted it to HID via some trimming and a H7 bulb, built a mount setup to put the shell far enough away from the CDI box so it can turn without hitting, and run a Li-Po battery setup in a rear fender pack. After all the research, trials, and errors it seems to work fairly well and with (2) 5000 mAh batts it will run a 35w HID setup for about 4 hours or so. Hope that helps you out some anyway. If you want some more info on my setup PM me and I can email you some pics of what I came up with.

Ryno

We have had good success running the Cyclops NXG Leds from the Kx's 12V power. The NXg draws 10 watts and work very well, a single NXG LED will out power most any single(short of a 8") factory or aftermarket Halogen light

They have won many 24 hr class wins..

yes there are options..

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=products&id=82

NXGLED-Photos-005-1.jpg

I had the same question and got some good info from some guys who raced the 24hrs at glen Hellen. Supposedly you can hook an 8in HID from Baja design right into the hot and ground that run the fuel pump..... Something about having to reverse the polarity, and having to turn off the light to use the e-start. But they said it did great. No stater rewind etc. Contact the guys at Baja designs they know better than anyone. You might get some good info if you post this in the "Baja" fourm.

• Like 1

I had the same question and got some good info from some guys who raced the 24hrs at glen Hellen. Supposedly you can hook an 8in HID from Baja design right into the hot and ground that run the fuel pump..... Something about having to reverse the polarity, and having to turn off the light to use the e-start. But they said it did great. No stater rewind etc. Contact the guys at Baja designs they know better than anyone. You might get some good info if you post this in the "Baja" fourm.

Were they racing KX450s ?

• 3 months later...

AWESOME! will buy the second there out for the 12! how long do you figure

The diff. in the 2012 model is that it has two plugs behind the # plate. I havent had a chance to get my hands on one to tell riders which one to plug into. The kit will be the same as the 2010 and 2011 just with different instructions.

I have an apt with the local shop next week

should be soon.

• 2 weeks later...

the Cyclops one looks ok.... however, I have found a complete harness kit from www.ballards.cc for low power LED lights and tail light.

With this harness I can use a real headlight instead of my number plate. As the Website says: "it wont burn bark off the trees but it will get you home"

the Cyclops one looks ok.... however, I have found a complete harness kit from www.ballards.cc for low power LED lights and tail light.

With this harness I can use a real headlight instead of my number plate. As the Website says: "it wont burn bark off the trees but it will get you home"

I dint see anything on there site?? But, I do want you to burn the bark off of trees.. Just getting home is no fun at all...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I dint see anything on there site?? But, I do want you to burn the bark off of trees.. Just getting home is no fun at all...

If you go to Ballards.cc website, click on Catalogue, and go to page 39 you will see the wiring loom. Comes with all switches includng the brake switch and a rear light.

I am planning on removing the light globe from my Polisport MMX light I have just bought, and mounting the LED in the hole.

http://s1068.photobucket.com/albums/u457/josephdignam/?action=view&current=KXFHEADLIGHT004.jpg

As you can see below, I might have to modify the light housing to fit the LED as the ECU is in the way!!

http://s1068.photobucket.com/albums/u457/josephdignam/?action=view&current=KXFHEADLIGHT003.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to confirm, Kawasaki were correct in the seminar they ran in Japan for Australian dealers. You can run any straight off the shelf light on a 2012 KX450F. I have been running a polisport MMX headlight with a standard 30W halogen for two months now with absolutely no hiccups. The electrical system can 100% handle the load.

The only thing to be aware if is that you need to fit a switch to light harness. The light needs to be off when starting the bike - otherwise the globe pulls all the power and the FI system gets nothing.

Need to splice a power wire straight from the condenser, run an earth and you now have a very capable light at minimum cost and effort.

• 3 years later...

I did what you said when I turned the light on the bike would cut out that was with the polisport 35w globe! I then realised it was drawing all the power out of the capacitor! Then bought a led h4 globe and now it works fine it even starts when the light is on!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm running a Baja designs light, made my own harness, got a switch that I installed on the left shroud n run it off a 20v lithium ion dewalt battery that I installed little leads on n had to cut a little plastic to fit both connectors onto the two prongs of the battery. I have rode for over 3 hrs without it dimming or dying on me. Always ride with an extra battery in my bag along with tools to take seat off as I have ziptied right above air filter. Baja designs led lights r awesome. Haven't tried any others but have friends with some other lights and my Baja designs light out does em all. Hope his helps someone! If anyone wants some pictures on what I did as pictures speak a thousand words for me, lmk n I can post some

Edited by Cliff Quigley