Sign in to follow this  

Gunnar Gasser cheap copy warning .....

Another issue with a throttle assembly. This time possibly a bit more serious as there are many more in circulation .......

I have also posted this on a few other vintage motocross forums in the hope that people will be aware of the dangers.

I had an issue at the weekend with a Gasser copy. These are the ones with the BLACK cover and does NOT have "Made in Sweden" cast into the body.

The plastic tangs on the throttle tube the hold the cable WILL break off sooner or later. Mine did on Sunday afternoon. Luckily the throttle was being closed at the time. It usually happens as you're opening it or WFO. It looks like it is caused by the tangs and plasic cover being moulded badly. It lets the throttle go past the "stop" when closing. This puts strain on the weak (read cheap crap) plastic. A small piece will eventually break off jamming the throttle.

I contacted the ebay seller in the UK that I bought the unit from yesterday. Had an email back from him today genuinely concerned about the problem. This is good. But there are a great deal of people selling these who don't know how dangerous they are, or do, and don't care.

I must stress that the good ones have a grey plastic top cover, and "Made in Sweden" cast into the body.Also, to all you scrutineers out there. These cannot be made a reason to fail a bike. But the rider should be made aware of the possibilities .......

This ONLY applies to the "Gunnar Gasser" style of assembly. No other style (including the Venhill one) has this problem.

There seem to be quite a few sellers of this unit in the U.S. ..... beware.

Below is an email from Mark Firkin (Firko) in Australia. Some of you will know Mark from his columns in VMX Magazine and others.

"Thanks Grouty, it's nice to be here.

Mate, I reckon I've become the International consumer advocate for banning those cheap'n'nasty Chinese Gunnar Gasser copies. In my 24 years in the VMX scene I've seen many an "Oh Shit ! " situation caused by those throttles malfunctioning at the worst possible time.

The problem (amongst others) is in the loop that holds the cable nipple snapping off, causing the nipple to turn and jam in the housing. This exciting phenonema usually (but not always) occurs when you're on full throttle, often with dire results. It's happened to me a couple of times before I had the life changing accident that put me off work for six months with a shattered elbow, 2 broken ribs, a ruptured sternum and a whole bunch of lesser injuries. I was practicing at our practice track aboard my methanol DT1 Yamaha, racing my mate on his modern when, while tapped out in 4th gear the throttle jammed, causing me to hit the berm at the end of the straight on full noise, face planting at least 20 feet from the launch berm momentarily before the bike which promptly landed on top of me, causing most of the physical damage.

If you're using a Chinese rip-off Gunnar Gasser it's not a matter of it maybe failing, it's a fact that it most definitely will when you least expect it. At Classic Dirt earlier this year I asked the inventor of the original Gunnar Gasser, Gunnar Lindstrom his thoughts on the Gasser rip-offs and he agreed that the quality was extremely poor and that it reflected badly on the excellent Swedish made real product. He reckoned that unfortunately it'd be an impossible task to take any legal action against the Chinese manufacturers because of the complexities of the Chinese legal system, in other words it's in the 'too hard basket'. All we can do is to try and get the message out there that the Chinese throttles are dangerous crap and hope that punters get wise to it before they get hurt. "

Some Chinese clone stuff is ok but the majority of it is just dangerous crap.....if it involves anything to do with safety, you should closely examine the item......buyer beware and prepare to suffer the consequences

Some Chinese clone stuff is ok but the majority of it is just dangerous crap.....if it involves anything to do with safety, you should closely examine the item......buyer beware and prepare to suffer the consequences

The Chinese stuff is not OK, ever. You get what you pay for and you put a USA citizen out of work. Think about it the next time you buy Chinese.

The Chinese stuff is not OK, ever. You get what you pay for and you put a USA citizen out of work. Think about it the next time you buy Chinese.

I shall agree when you put it that way.....but peeps will buy the crap anyway cuz it saves them a buck .......for the time being......unfortunately, more and more US companies are outsourcing.......sux

I shall agree when you put it that way.....but peeps will buy the crap anyway cuz it saves them a buck .......for the time being......unfortunately, more and more US companies are outsourcing.......sux

But that is where the problem is. It is not all the companies fault.

This is how it goes.

You have three companies that sell a widget. They are competitors. The Chinese come along and tell company #1, I can make one of your parts and cut your cost by 50% because we have children working for us, and we only pay them 5 cents an hour. Plus we make parts from recycled scrap materials.

Company #1, who has no conscience looks the other way and says. I'll buy them and then I can sell them cheaper than my two competitors and get rich faster.

Peeps comes along, and sees the widget from company #1 and says I'll buy it. It's so much cheaper. Totally clueless that the cheaper one is such poor quality, it will only last 1/4 of the time the "American Made" ones last. Penny wise pound foolish.

Now we company #1 getting rich because all the Peeps are buying them up. Company #2 and #3 are scratching their heads, their sales dropped dramatically and they had to lay off workers. So company#2 says, we can't have this, I'll be out of business in no time and my share holders are getting pissed. So company #2 goes to the Chinese and they buy the parts and now they are getting rich.

Company #3 says, I cannot do this anymore. I cannot compete and I refuse to buy from Chinese. Since I am close enough to retirement, I'll just layoff all the workers and move to Florida. Now we have X amount of people unemployed.

It then snowballs and INFECTS all the companies in USA.

Eventually you have companies like Harbor freight, making thousands of items, that once were made in USA, employing thousands of US citizens, but it is all now made outside our country.

ALL this because Peeps wants to save some money.

Peeps is now unemployeed. Victim of his own demise.

Next time your near Harbor Freight, take a walk through and take a good look.

I did, I wanted to throw up when I left.

Occupy Wall Street? LAUGH OUT LOUD. I bet you those F%*%* tents they were sleeping in, and those drums they were pounding on, were made in China

Like Michael Jackson said. Look in the mirror and make the change.

Rob............ OUT..........................

I have one of those throttle in the bag ready to mount

THANK YOU for posting this

Im going to put it on a few vintage forums also