Honda CR 200 (I wish)

I am looking to buy a two stroke bike within the next few months. I wouldn't mind doing a little work on it if I had to.

I have previously had a CRF250, KTM 250, and KTM 200. I really liked the power of my KTM 200, it was perfect but I missed the handling of my Honda. And parts were really expensive for the KTM. I gotta have a 2 stroke.

I like the handling of a CR125 but the style of riding I do, mostly around the house but some track and trail, a CR doesn't have enough top end. That is why I like the Yz 125.It has the 6 speed trans with higher top speed. Just dont know if I would be satisfied with YZ since I have always liked the feel of Hondas better. (Design, dependability, and handling)

I liked the power and top end of my KTM 200 XCW but its handling was a little off.

I have read that you can put a 97 6 speed transmission in a later model CR 125. Would this be a good idea? Possibly with a big bore upgrade.

I have also thought about buying a CR 250 and putting a heavy flywheel weight on it for a more manageable power band, I just don't know if that would still be a little too much, and too heavy since I like the feel of a 125.

So my options are: CR 125, CR 125 with 6 speed trans, YZ 125, or CR 250 with flywheel weight.

Honda CR 200 6 speed would be perfect.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by cmrose

Forgot to mention that I am 25; 6'1"; 185 lbs and have been on 4 wheels until about a couple years so I am not the most skilled rider on the track. I'm still learning.

Edited by cmrose

I have ridden a 05 CR 125, 05 YZ 125, and a 05 YZ 250 but never a CR 250. Do they handle similar to the CRF250? I don't want anything too heavy and like the small frame size of the 125. Are all the frames basically the same size?

Right now I'm leaning toward a YZ 125, The KTM 250 XC I had for a while and the YZ 250 I tried out were both a little much. I think the CR may be similar to the KTM if I put a flywheel weight on it. Maybe I can find a buddy and try one out first.

Any advice on the 6 speed transmission for a later model CR 125?

If Not I may just see if I could find a YZ and tweak the suspension for my style of riding.

i had a 05 yz 125. Best bike I've ever ridden. handles well and is light, the only thing I would recommend doing to it if you want more power is just buying the athena 144 kit. you don't have to bore the cylinder you have, it comes with a new cylinder and piston kit and you simply just bolt it on and it becomes one of the funnest, lightest bikes there is!

buy a newer ktm 200, or an older cr250r

you did not say what you did not like about the ktm, they changed the handling quite a bit in 2008, same great motor

parts, not sure what you were buying, but wear items are all the same price regardless of brand