Sign in to follow this  

MRD SSW questions and review

Question: Does the MRD SSW say "Pro Comp" on the exhaust tip? My mom bought the exhaust for me for my birthday, and I told her to get the MRD SSW. I caught a sneak peek of it in the box, and the tip said pro comp.

I thought the Pro Comp was the standard version of the MRD?

REVIEW TO COME THIS WEEKEND! my birthday is being celebrated friday. :lol::banana:

As for jetting I have a stock bike w/ 3x3 mod. I have a DynoJet kit.

I have obtained a 25 pilot, a 160 main, and I'm going to put the DynoJet needle on the 3rd clip (because I will be riding in the winter so it needs to be richer than the normally suggested 2nd clip)

I am at 1000ft and the average temp this winter will probably be about 30 degrees F. Does my prepared jetting sound right?

review added!

REVIEW!

Got the pipe in the morning. First impressions were all good. The first thing that struck me was the craftsmanship. This pipe is a BEAUTY! took me about an hour to install and rejet. I was concerned that since each pipe is hand welded that i might have fitment or rubbing issues. NOPE! everything slid right in like these pipe were stamped out in the bulk or something, absolutely no complaints on fitment. Then i took it for the first ride. WOW did that add some power! I can nail it in 2nd and its hard to keep the front end from coming up. Its also pretty easy to get the front end up in 3rd gear, a feat that was impossible for a lightweight like me to do with the stock exhaust.

overall rating 9.5/10

PROS

-awesome welding, and looks great. quality exhaust no doubt

-great fitment, no trouble there

-very noticeable power gains. My butt dyno is reading anywhere between a 4-6HP increase over stock, which is big. I can do wheelies in gears that i never could before.

CONS

-SUPER loud for the street. I did not buy the quiet core. I dont think MRD makes any claims about street legality, but there is no way that this pipe is legal for the street, at least not without the quiet core. I kinda live in the middle of hicksville where everyone rides super loud harleys, so im hoping i dont get into any trouble for it.

-I was slightly disappointed in the lack of a new exhaust gasket. Its not really necessary and yeah, my old one worked fine, but i (actually my mom) just payed you 460 of my (her) hard earned dollars for a pipe, cant you throw in a $4 gasket?

overall I am very satisfied, and would DEFINITELY recommend this pipe to a friend with no hesitation.

Comes with 4 stickers! I love stickers! 2 are for the front fender and are curved to fit. very stylish. the other 2 are oval and are black with a clear background. I found this odd because many DRZs are black, so the sticker simply wont work on the plastics. I ended up slapping them on the swingarm and it looks pretty good but im still not sure how i feel about them.

I didn't even have to use the instruction page included. install was a breeze.

Edited by Joester
  • Like 1

I have to wait until friday. My mom doesnt know i saw the pipe. Shhhhhh.

I guess the ssw will have the expanded header on it?

I have to wait until friday. My mom doesnt know i saw the pipe. Shhhhhh.

I guess the ssw will have the expanded header on it?

I talked to your mom when she ordered it , you have the SSW/MRD :lol:

She wins mom of the year in my books.

Better get her a buddy bike for her birthday :)

ah, cool. I just wasnt sure... because ya never know what you'll get when you let your mom order! :):p

thanks!

She wins mom of the year in my books.

Better get her a buddy bike for her birthday :)

I was serious , she ordered it from me :lol:

DH367, as an MRD person, what do you think about my jetting selection? anything you would change to start off with? obviously I will have to play around with the fuel screw and other stuff to get it perfect but whats a good starting point?

25p/160m 3rd clip on dynojet needle, starting at 2.5 out on the screw.

"whoever welded it is very good at welding.... I could tell by the.... the... extremely high resolution pictures online, of course." - my mom on trying to hide the fact that she bought me an exhaust system.

"whoever welded it is very good at welding.... I could tell by the.... the... extremely high resolution pictures online, of course." - my mom on trying to hide the fact that she bought me an exhaust system.

= DH367.... He IS the man that build you pipe. He welded it.....assembled it.....even cleaned up the slags.....and perhaps vacuumed the metal leftovers..... Ummm... perhaps his son has that delegation.....:)

:lol::thumbsup:

Erling

You were getting a MRD pipe, I talked to your mom and told her you saw it already. She thanked me for letting her know you've been snooping, man was she pissed, so pissed in fact she sent it to me.

THANKS MAN:moon:

DH367, as an MRD person, what do you think about my jetting selection? anything you would change to start off with? obviously I will have to play around with the fuel screw and other stuff to get it perfect but whats a good starting point?

25p/160m 3rd clip on dynojet needle, starting at 2.5 out on the screw.

should be close if you have done the 3X3 mod :lol:

hahahaha............ I build & maintain the website too , and I know the pics are , well lets say not perfect :lol:

= DH367.... He IS the man that build you pipe. He welded it.....assembled it.....even cleaned up the slags.....and perhaps vacuumed the metal leftovers..... Ummm... perhaps his son has that delegation.....:banghead:

:lol::thumbsup:

Erling

hahahaha ....... yep I still do some of the clean up , sometimes it sucks to be a neat freak :cheers:............. off topic , I have give you :) for your work on the CF tip