Sign in to follow this  

will my drz power plant fit in a rm 85 there both 03

I just got a 03 drz125 and have ridden it most of this year and my friend just sold me his 03 rm 85 that is blowen up I was wondering if i can swap the drz motor to the rm frame and if i can get the 6 speed trany to bolt in the drz power plant verses the stock 5 speed and what other components will be the same any help would be great thanks

If you are mechanically inclined and have a welder you can get the DRZ engine into the RM chassis. Although a TTR motor is a better swap...

If your not mechanically inclined and/or you don't have a welder your best bet is to bolt that RM front end onto your DRZ, then part out the RM and buy a KX100 swingarm for the rear of your DRZ.

Anything can be done, but the gears out of your RM are NOT a direct bolt on to your DRZ...

I can fab up just about any thing I have a welder and plasma cutter I want my drz motor in the rm do too the rm having way better factory connection front forks riser block and disk breaks all around works shock in the in the rear the rm fits my riden style better

Surf around the forum man, there are threads all over about just about every mod you can think of.

If you look in the CR section there is a build thread where my buddy put a TTR motor into a CR85 chassis, your build will be very similar. The main issues are going to be modifying the Frame, kickstarter, exhaust and intake track.

Good luck

EDIT: Here is the thread

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727299&highlight=cr85+ttr125

a figured i was in for some work thanks for that link you made my swap way

more simple I am getting my plasma cutter and welder form work and going to town after the holidays ps I can fit a 150 kit that i wanted pimp I will try to poast pics to keep you informed

I'll make your life a bit easier.

Search out the Interesting Mods to My 125L, and read it ALL the way thru. It details everything from six speeds to stroker cranks to heads.

IMHO, a 190 kit would be coin well spent. Using a home-spun version, I can whip a uncorked Coeshow jetted CRF230F in a straight line, in the woods or on our small practice track.

The biggest problem you will have is lowering the engine cradle to except the taller 4 stroke motor. Besides that there is some other minor tweeks, but the hard work will have been done. This is a friends of mine who put a ttr 125 motor into a cr85 chassis (obviously used the ttr tank and plastics, because arount here everyone does it with hondas...what can I say, home of bbr...so he went with the honda chassis, but made it look like a yamaha...but he wanted to do it for the same reasons you want to). He is a excellent fab guy and said it was kinda a b@#% getting everything in correctly while still having a stock feel. He wanted it to look correct, not just be some frankenstein slapped together bike. It came out very pretty, but not easy. And he was also talking about selling it for around $2400 by the way (with a works shock and revalve, I think thats a steal....but I already have like three of them) He hasnt ridden it in about 5 years....very sad Im not trying to sell it for him, but that really is a shame

2011-07-16_14-59-35_844.jpg

2011-07-16_14-59-16_154.jpg