Sign in to follow this  

CTI Pro Sport Knee Braces

My doctor gave me a script for the above knee braces and my insurance pays 90%. I found a place close to me that excepts the insurance so I set up an appointment and got fitted for both custom and OTC. I found places all over selling OTC for $400 to $500 tops per leg and thats with the MX kit, so I figured my out of pocket would be approximately $100 give or take for OTC and probably double for custom. A few days after being fit, they call me and said my out of pocket will be $349 for OTC and double that for Custom. That means they are billing the insurance over $3000 for the OTC braces and if I went custom, almost $6,000. Are they allowed to do this. The problem I'm having is finding places that except insurance which limits me. I think the hole system is a scam. Am I wrong:bonk:

I agree, I know many friends that have had the full custom CTI 2 knee braces prescribed by their doctor after surgery and they haven't had to pay hardly anything out of pocket!

I would check with your insurance provider and see what their programs are, but it seems like you are having to pay a lot! But as we both know, every insurance company is different.

Let us know what you find out!

Thanks Jason. I plan on calling the insurance. I think they are inflating the cost to the Insurance company.

Im with BCBS in Arizona, and my first brace after my ACLr surgery was a CTi OTC. The provider billed the BCBS around $1900!! So I called BCBS and told them the exact same brace is available online for under $500. They really didn't care and said that's the contract pricing for that item that BCBS allows. When I was ready for a custom, I ended up choosing the Townsend Web motocross brace which for me seemed better and privided more protection overall. I was able to get a script for both legs too. Since I used my deductible 100% by then, my ouf of pocket was zero $. However the provided billed BCBS around $5800 for both. While a good product, that seems very high; non wonder our insurance costs and medical system costs too much!

This is why insurance rate are through the roof. Many people are trying to screw the insurance company's and we all get screwed in the end.

Many years ago I had a windshield put in a Ford Ranger and the glass company charged the insurance $1900.00 for a $300.00 windshield.

I have one OTS pro sport brace that the guy came and fit me for back in 2008. I finally bought a right knee brace off one of those ebay stores this summer for my other knee. I think it was $400 and claimed to be the OTS pro sport but it is not the same as the brace the rep set me up with. It is a lower quality with different straps, rivets, and i forget what else i haven't compared braces in a while.

I finally got my braces for both legs. I called my Insurance company and the told me that since they are in network they have to except what ever the Insurance pays and not what they bill. I did not pay a dime yet. When I get my explanation of benefits they will tell me what my out of pocket is which is 10% of what Ins. pays. The braces are really nice.

it is a weird thing for sure, if you buy direct the CTI representatives typically give you a better deal. if they have to bill insurance it is a ridiculous cost. My insurance will only pay for off the shelf braces, they said if anatomically I needed a custom they would, since my right legs cant fit into a off the shelf brace I need a custom one, insurance has continued to deny it even though measurements prove I cant fit one, dumb asses. So I ordered the off the shelf ones and of course the right doesn't fit. CTI is selling me the custom for the right for $550, not bad really. The others will cost me $150 but we wil send the right one back.

Im not complaining since my insurance is pretty awesome anyways, retired military. And I use my FSA account to pay this.