12 yr old wants to race-now what?

My 12 yr old(5'2"/115lbs) has been riding less than a year on a 08 KLX140. He is doing fairly well and now thinks he wants to race next spring. He really wants a KTM 105 for a race bike. I don't want to spend $4 or 5K on a 105 and then he decides he isn't into racing. At the same time I don't want him to get discouraged if he races the 140 and isn't competitive. It seems like all youngins are on 2strokes at the local track. Can the 140 be made somewhat competitive for a few bucks or should I bite the bullet and get a 105? Or although a 125 is a bit tall for him should I go that route?

My 12 yr old(5'2"/115lbs) has been riding less than a year on a 08 KLX140. He is doing fairly well and now thinks he wants to race next spring. He really wants a KTM 105 for a race bike. I don't want to spend $4 or 5K on a 105 and then he decides he isn't into racing. At the same time I don't want him to get discouraged if he races the 140 and isn't competitive. It seems like all youngins are on 2strokes at the local track. Can the 140 be made somewhat competitive for a few bucks or should I bite the bullet and get a 105? Or although a 125 is a bit tall for him should I go that route?

craigslist? a klx140 isn't going to cut it .. I think. Have you or your son been to any races? It might be good to start there....seeing the speed and what guys are riding etc.

The local track scene is definitely a 2 stroke show for the kids. He met Taddy B and has a huge poster of him with Taddy in his room. Orange is his color now. Its hard to find a used 105 that isn't trashed. There are some new leftovers at nearby dealers. I was hopeful the 140 could be made into something it isn't.......or any 4 stroke under 200cc for that matter.........a racer. I think he would outgrow a 85 pretty fast. I will keep looking. I'm a little nervous about him racing but what the heck. I didn't start until I was 16 and always wished I had started sooner. Thanks for the input.

I've known a few who had the KTM 105 and they were time bombs. Fast bikes, but you will be rebuilding the motor more often then one of the Japanese bikes. Like I said before, put him on a KX 100 or RM85L. They are same size as the KTM 105 and have a more managable powerband. Also cheaper to work on. Next size up in mx is a 125 2 stroke or 250F and both would be to much for your son at this point. He will be on his toes on a 100.

You, and he, will find that his lack of experience/skill at this point will be the main hold back. A stronger bike is just going to accentuate that point. I'd vote for the KX100 or some color of 85 too.

Try not to let him fall for the theory the he'll automatically finish up front on a certain color/type of bike. His focus needs to be on his ability, not what kind of bike he's riding.

You, and he, will find that his lack of experience/skill at this point will be the main hold back. A stronger bike is just going to accentuate that point. I'd vote for the KX100 or some color of 85 too.

Try not to let him fall for the theory the he'll automatically finish up front on a certain color/type of bike. His focus needs to be on his ability, not what kind of bike he's riding.

?

At 12 years old with NO experence he needs to be on an small wheel 85 that way he can race more classes .In supermini he will more than likely have his but handed to him.He needs all the seat time he can get.

Like others have said go to the track talk to other families.

On a kx100/ktm105 he could only race supermini or schoolboy(both fast classes) This sport is 95% rider 5% bike

I hadn't really considered which classes he would be eligible to race in. Maybe a 85 is the way to go. There are certainly more used choices out there. He is 5' 2" and 115. Just sitting on them the small wheel 85's seem a bit small for him that is why the 105 seemed like the goldilocks choice......85 too small & 125 too big. What do kids his size ride?

Dirt Rider did up a 140 a couple years ago, kx100 forks, big bore kit etc. brought it up into the same league as CRF 150R and the final cost was around 10k on top of the price of the 140. You need to find a good used 85 your son will love it.