Sign in to follow this  

Anybody try a Pirelli MT43 trials tire on the XR

I know a couple people that swear by the Pirelli MT43, so I ordered one. They both have lighter, more powerfull bikes, Husky 610 and a KTM (both street legal), and both are very good riders. They claim the MT43 is better just about everywhere, especially in the woods and rocks (here they say its almost like cheating). but not as good in deep sticky mud, and grass is its Achilles heel, throttle control is the key. They both will spoon on a knobby if its going to be super muddy. also claim they get around 2000mi out of the mt43, instead of 6 or 700mi from a knobby.

Edited by zx12r

I ran an IRC TR1 one my R last year. It lasted about 2k miles and worked great. I've went through a couple knobbies but I'm planning on trying the mt43 next.

Tried one on my XR650 L - Conditions here range from tarmac, deep mud, sand and very loose hard laterite - the tyre was used for about four hours riding and lost a good number of knobs - they may be good if you are going to take it very easy but not so good if the throttle only has two positions..... off or full on.

I still reckon on the XT Army Special as one of the best tyres I have used - http://www.trelleborgtyres.co.uk/product_details_32.htm - if you can get them

I'm in western md & really debated on them for a long time, ended up getting a MT16.( I think Dwight Rudder on TT here like the MT16 , & saw somewhere Scott Sommers used them also) I'm afraid I'll hit muddy sections, climbing, with the 43 and regret it. Otherwise I hear they really rock!

If you do a search on here of MT43, all kind of posts come up, (not to many on the XRL though). 95% think they're great and wished they had tried it sooner, they say, the mt43 will out last a knobby by two or three times, we will see. I ride a lot of rocky trails, and this is were its supposed to shine. I think I'm going to add a extra rim lock though(plus it will help balance the rear wheel), because of the lower psi's, 6 to 12 psi is recommended.

The MT 43 looks pretty good and what would be a good front tire for trail riding? No on road use only mud, clay, and minimal rocks.

The MT 43 looks pretty good and what would be a good front tire for trail riding? No on road use only mud, clay, and minimal rocks.

I am ordering this one today:

Pirelli Scorpion Pro All Terrain/Enduro Front Tire

Pirelli Scorpion XCMS (it's DOT too) It will also last a long time on the road as long as you are easy with the front brake.

think I will kep the MT21's until worn out then maybe a IRC trails tire for the pavement - which is mostly what the bike does - with only an occasional trip off road.

good choice for front tire :lol:

feels a little squirrely at higher speeds when new but scrubs in quick

Where I ride normally 45-60 is tops. However in the Black Hill I did hit 96mph according to GPS 2 years ago. Right now trying to get bike ready for a early summer trip to Colorado. So tire should be scrubed by then. I haven't posted much here but I have read alot and taken notes

The brown Santa sleigh dropped off my tires. The 1st thing you notice about the MT43 is the knobs are longer than they look in the pics, 11mm, the average knobby is around 14mm. The rubber is pretty soft too, I also got a Dunlop D756, and that rubber is a good bit harder.

Brown Santa stopped @ my house also. Front Scorpion Pro along with HD tube. Looks great, stiff as hell., probably be tuff mount for my son. I get him to do all the PIA work.

One other thing ; I ordered it Mon PM CT and it arrived today. Thats the FASTEST I have ever recieved anything I have ever ordered. MCSuperStore rocks

I ran the MT-43 this summer on the XR650R. The first thing I noticed was the first time I tried to kick the rear end out to go around a corner, I launched right through it! Lots more traction than the knobby I took off.

I'll get most of next summer out of it but it has lasted better than I thought.

It's a different ride with the trials tire

This is a bit late, but I've been running the MT43 for the last few years.

On rocky climbs the tire is like cheating. I can loft the front wheel over trail obstacles with a flick of the throttle. It's really amazing. They outlast knobbies by a huge margin. Heck they even outlast the front tire. My XR600 is plated so the DOT label is a big plus.

I wouldn't ride much pavement without upping the pressure a lot to 20 if not more. I don't think it would last real long even then. Off road I usually run between 10 and 11 psi. I'm too chicken to go lower even though I've not had a pinch flat yet. If you run them at 15 like a normal tire you loose almost all the traction advantage.

If you steer with the throttle then a trials type tire is not for you. There is so much traction that it's hard to break the tire loose. It also shreds them.

The only downside I've seen is in the mud. The tires can pack up. Same with the snow. I live in SoCal so I don't see much of that though. I'm totally sold on the MT43.

I have one on my xr250 with tubliss and it rockals. I tend to melt knobbies like butter on the xrl so I am jaded to run it. I really like throwing a wall of dirt on my friends when I ride the pig and trials isn't ideal for that.

I ran the MT-43 this summer on the XR650R. The first thing I noticed was the first time I tried to kick the rear end out to go around a corner, I launched right through it! Lots more traction than the knobby I took off.

I'll get most of next summer out of it but it has lasted better than I thought.

It's a different ride with the trials tire

This is a bit late, but I've been running the MT43 for the last few years.

On rocky climbs the tire is like cheating. I can loft the front wheel over trail obstacles with a flick of the throttle. It's really amazing. They outlast knobbies by a huge margin. Heck they even outlast the front tire. My XR600 is plated so the DOT label is a big plus.

I wouldn't ride much pavement without upping the pressure a lot to 20 if not more. I don't think it would last real long even then. Off road I usually run between 10 and 11 psi. I'm too chicken to go lower even though I've not had a pinch flat yet. If you run them at 15 like a normal tire you loose almost all the traction advantage.

If you steer with the throttle then a trials type tire is not for you. There is so much traction that it's hard to break the tire loose. It also shreds them.

The only downside I've seen is in the mud. The tires can pack up. Same with the snow. I live in SoCal so I don't see much of that though. I'm totally sold on the MT43.

How many mi do you get out of a rear MT43 ? What i've heard is around 2000mi, (I'd be happy with that), I'm getting around 1000mi out of most rear knobbys now. I still got a little life left in my IRC VE33 with 1000mi on it(which worked great), with 17mm tall center knobs when new, I was hoping for more, down to 7mm now so its got maybe 300mi left, I've noticed that at 4mm, knobby's kinda quit working. So the average of 1mm of wear= 100mi is still true for knobs. Hoping the 11mm knobs on the MT43 wear better than 1mm=100mi, I'm pretty sure they will.

Hows about one of you boys post a pic of your new tire all mounted up. i have also been considering this tire and would like to see how it looks mounted on an xrr.

How many mi do you get out of a rear MT43 ? What i've heard is around 2000mi, (I'd be happy with that), I'm getting around 1000mi out of most rear knobbys now. I still got a little life left in my IRC VE33 with 1000mi on it(which worked great), with 17mm tall center knobs when new, I was hoping for more, down to 7mm now so its got maybe 300mi left, I've noticed that at 4mm, knobby's kinda quit working. So the average of 1mm of wear= 100mi is still true for knobs. Hoping the 11mm knobs on the MT43 wear better than 1mm=100mi, I'm pretty sure they will.

I have a XR600 so no totaling odometer, but I would say 2000 miles easy. I normally replaced the front tire every second rear tire. With my first MT43 I had to replace the front tire before I replaced the rear. Even worn down my first MT43 was still hooking up pretty well.

Hows about one of you boys post a pic of your new tire all mounted up. i have also been considering this tire and would like to see how it looks mounted on an xrr.

It's not an intimidating looking tire like say a fresh M5B. It looks kind of wimpy and it's real tall. I don't care what it looks like though. I just care how it works.