Sign in to follow this  

Is this supposed to be in my fork? Trying to un-lower a Husqvarna/Marzocchi

I picked up a Husqvarna (02 570TE with the stock inverted Marzocchi) a few weeks ago and it turns out the suspension has been lowered. I'm trying to put it back to stock, but having never torn into these forks before I'm not sure if the sleeve pictured is normal or if it is what someone used to lower the suspension... My parts manual has a very crappy illustration of the rod and I don't really see this piece on the breakdown.

Is this sleeve supposed to be on the damping rod? If not am I good to go without it?

DSC02818.jpg

Everything else looks normal/stock however this sleeve is the only thing I can see that would limit travel. Thanks for any help,

Andrew

I recently revalved a 45mm Marzocchi from a Gas Gas and it did not have that spacer on the damper rod. Sorry I can't be more specific - that's all I know.

I am far from a suspension expert , but i would highly doubt the factory would epoxy anything to the rod , and it does not have the same coating that the rod has , also a dead giveaway , so i doubt it is stock

any roughness on the rod will destroy the rod seal

thats looks like the limiting spacer, but remember you will probably have to lengthen the fork springs a similar a mount.

:lol:

any roughness on the rod will destroy the rod seal

:)

If the forks were lowered by that amount, they would have to have shorter springs. You'll have to find a set of stock length springs.

That spacer is not stock for the Marz fork...at least for the 45's.

Was that free floating on the cart rod ?

Noticed that you might have a check plate in place of the mid valve, "if so" I'd change it back, it allows the fork to dive to quickly and deep into the stroke...which the effects are a harsh ride.

Thanks a lot everyone I was so worried that nobody would be able to help especially where it is an odd bike. I really appreciate all the great answers and I've learned a LOT today :lol: I'm hoping the rear shock will be as easy or easier--we'll see.

Yes from the looks of it I'm going to need to replace the current springs as they are ~2" too short due to someone cutting them down. A quick look on Race Tech shows nothing for the TE570 do you Marzocchi guy's know if I can order them for another model (maybe a TC570?). I hope the springs and the spacers are the only thing they modified to make the forks 2" lower. So far everything else looks like it was left alone.

Good to know the sleeve doesn't belong there, is there anything else that belongs in that location (spacer, bumper and/or bushing etc) or can I start to reassemble? The sleeve had some type of hard compound holding it in place so the holes would stay lined up. I was very careful removing it however it took some of the anodizing off of the tube :) I am going to smooth it and polish the crap out of it and hope for the best.

Moto9 I can handle the teardown and re-assembling, but valving is uncharted waters for me. What do you mean by limiting spacer? And where should I place it?

Andrew

Yes from the looks of it I'm going to need to replace the current springs as they are ~2" too short due to someone cutting them down.

there's one chance to keep the springs and use a spacer if

a. you like the spring rate AND

b. the stroke of the spring is bigger than the stroke of the fork. (for example the fork stroke is near 310mm, including the

preload the springs must be able to be compressed at least 320mm)

There is pvc spacer that goes inside the fork, it sits below the spring and I'd say it's about 2'' long, they may have removed it.

Check Gofasters.com, gas gas riders club form, and LTR racing.

LTR is probably the most knowledgible marz and sach suspension shop.

IF you go to gasgasridersclubform.com, contact member "GMP"

He can get you a base setting to work with...you really need a midvalve setup to get the marz fork to work right.

Rotbox. How's the anodizing on the rest of the damper rod?. Is it worn off in the travel area where the fork spends most of its time?example first third. Could you post up a pic of the complete damper rod.I'm having severe wearing on mine and want to see what others are like. thanks

Thanks again Moto9 dang, I didn't even notice that spacer in my manual. Sure enough its there and I'm missing it. Hopefully I can track one (2) down :lol:

widerbear: The anodizing is only worn off there these sleeves were glued onto the shaft. Other than the first two inches everything looks great. It doesn't look like it was ever a wear issue-more or less just came off when the glue did. I can still post pics though if you'd like.

Thanks Rotbox. If it wouldnt be to much trouble that would be great! Any plastic pvc pipe with a similar od as the spring will work, cut to lenth to tune your spring preload. Black or grey plumbing store stuff can be tweaked on a lathe. If you can wait I'll pm you the exact dia specs next week.

Thanks Rotbox. If it wouldnt be to much trouble that would be great! Any plastic pvc pipe with a similar od as the spring will work, cut to lenth to tune your spring preload. Black or grey plumbing store stuff can be tweaked on a lathe. If you can wait I'll pm you the exact dia specs next week.

Some pics of the spacers would be great thanks! I'll post some pics as soon as I can :lol:

If anybody can post up the free lenth of a stock husky spring i should be able to get you very close on the spacer lenth. Gasgas and beta both used these forks but the spring free lenth and subsequent spacer lenth will be different. Example my beta springs are 10 mm longer than gasgas so the spacer will be approx 10mm shorter in the beta forks, vice/versa in the gg.

Thanks again Moto9 dang, I didn't even notice that spacer in my manual. Sure enough its there and I'm missing it. Hopefully I can track one (2) down :lol:

widerbear: The anodizing is only worn off there these sleeves were glued onto the shaft. Other than the first two inches everything looks great. It doesn't look like it was ever a wear issue-more or less just came off when the glue did. I can still post pics though if you'd like.

Like mentioned, cut your own spacers, their nothing special...just pvc.

Drop the spring in the fork, thread the cap on snug, measure from the top of the spring to the underside of the cap ( spring sits up inside the cap) add roughly 10 to 15 mm...spacer done!

Like mentioned, cut your own spacers, their nothing special...just pvc.

Drop the spring in the fork, thread the cap on snug, measure from the top of the spring to the underside of the cap ( spring sits up inside the cap) add roughly 10 to 15 mm...spacer done!

:lol:

Thanks again everyone! Well I ended up just ordering the springs and spacers from the Husky dealer. Someone did a poor job of shortening them anyway and I'm tired of fooling around with it lol :banghead: I was surprised to find that 2 springs and 2 spacers were only $80 so I was pretty happy.

Can you guy's do me one last favor (oh-oh here we go again! lol :)) and explain how to check the fluid height? On my past bikes I just drain and fill my forks with the quantity given in the manual. I bought a level syringe and want to give it a shot... What needs to be removed to check the fluid height on the Marzocchi's? Do I remove just the spring and spacer or should I remove the spring guide too? Also does the damping rod have to be all the way in or all the way out when measuring? Sorry the manual gives the measurement, but the step by step is really vague :lol:

Andrew