Sign in to follow this  

gearbox problems after accident

hi guys just wondered if i might be able to get some advice

was on riding a track today on my crf 250r 2008 model and i had a little fall on a corner and the bike fell down on the gear shifter side, the bike was still runnin but when i picked it back and and went to ride away i can only seem to get 1st an neutral and is not shifting up into any other gears :s

if anyone knows what this might be it would be much appriciated

thanks

paul

Could be a number of things, but the problem is probably a bent shift lever shaft or on the shifter arm ratchet/shifter drum side of the engine. This mechanism is on the right side of the engine, tucked in behind the clutch.

You can get to these parts without splitting the cases, but you do need to remove the outer clutch side case cover to be able to remove the clutch and gain access to the shifter ratchet that bolts onto the shifter drum. Once you get into the parts, you can remove the shift lever shaft and see if it got bent. You should also check to see if the shift ratchet mechanism still has the two tiny shifter pawls/springs/caps intact. Next, check to see if the shifter ratchet is square on the shifter drum. There is a tiny pin that aligns the ratchet to the shifter drum, and I have had a few cases where the ratchet was not square on the drum because the pin was not properly aligned and you could only shift between 1st and 2nd.

With access to the shifter drum, you should be able to easily turn the drum by hand and cycle through the gears - If you can't turn the drum easily by hand, you may have internal transmission problems (bent shifter fork/forks) that will require you to split the cases to check out.

Your shifter collar fell out when your gearshift spindle was pushed in.

Is that what happened to you Dan? LOL!!!

You really need to pull the right side cover and look. Technically, the shifter shaft shouldn't move enough for the collar to fall off, but I wouldn't rule it out. The collar is only about 3/16" thick and 100% will cause your issue. Make sure you get a side cover gasket and some brake cleaner. Good time while you have the cover off to clean some of the crap out of there.

The shift lever could have slid in on the shaft a little.

The Crf has a protrusion on the case just in front of the shaft.

If the shift lever gets too far in on the shaft, the square part of the shifter that clamps on the shaft gets hung up on this protrusion.

I have had this happen on mine and you would be surprised how little it has to move in on the shaft to cause this issue.

Good luck

Biwwy