Sign in to follow this  

how do I freshen up a 2003 xr80?

Just bought a 2003 XR80 for my soon to be 11 year old to learn to ride. It seems to run well but looks like the guy I bought it from just let his kid ride it for 2 years without even cleaning it much less performing any maintenance.

Can someone suggest what kind of maintenance I should do to it first? I just bought a back tire for it because the tube was sticking out of the one on it. It needs a new seat cover because it has a hole in it and it needs a new front brake lever bracket...those are universal right?

Also, the suspension seems kind of stiff to me...forks have a lot of rebound.

I used to work on my bikes some when I was young but my dad did most of the maintenance on them--I just cleaned them up--and, that was 25 years ago. Any advice will be greatly appreciated..

Those bikes are bullett proof, personally I'd just do the easy stuff (air filter, oil, spark plug) and run it for a while to see how it performs. Go to rocky mountain ATV or your local Honda to order a seat cover and a lever, that is an easy install. I'm sure the forks on that bike are simple to change fluids, someone else will have to guide you through that though. If your concerned about the top end, check the compression to see if it meets spec, not sure of the PSI but I'm sure others will chime in on the correct specs.

You can get seats off ebay at a reasonable price. As cheap as a new seat cover.

Those bikes are bullett proof, personally I'd just do the easy stuff (air filter, oil, spark plug) and run it for a while to see how it performs. Go to rocky mountain ATV or your local Honda to order a seat cover and a lever, that is an easy install. I'm sure the forks on that bike are simple to change fluids, someone else will have to guide you through that though. If your concerned about the top end, check the compression to see if it meets spec, not sure of the PSI but I'm sure others will chime in on the correct specs.

Bullett proof is what I was hoping to hear... I think I'll take this advice...maybe let him ride it a bit and then start monkeying around with the suspension a little.

The part of the lever that is broken is the part that the adjustment screw goes in to--the part that is on the bar. I don't need to get a model specific part do I?

You can get seats off ebay at a reasonable price. As cheap as a new seat cover.

none on there right now but I will keep looking...replacement seat sounds good because this one has a chunk of foam missing where the hole is.

I have a nice spare seat of a 2003 XR80 that I'll sell you if you want it. $65 shipped

I have a nice spare seat of a 2003 XR80 that I'll sell you if you want it. $65 shipped

I'll pm you my email and if you can send me some pics and accept paypal you might have a deal....thanks!

I'll try to get some pics for you either tonight or tomorrow, & I do take paypal.