Sign in to follow this  

Baja cell coverage

Member Trackmaster mentioned in the B1K thread that his cell phone worked everywhere when he was down for the 1K. This sparked my interest for a new thread devoted to this. We have been talking about getting sat phones for a while now but havn't mostly because of cost so this was music to my ears.

If we can get input from riders (and chasers) as to where there is (or isn't) coverage and which cell services work better than others this would be VERY beneficial to all of us that spend time down in Baja. Thanks

I think this has been covered in a a few posts before, but with AT&T you'll have pretty good coverage. They have a deal with at least Telcel and Movistar, and I see my phone switching between the networks at times.

Don't forget to turn on service abroad, or else you can't make calls. Also may be worth getting the $5/month Mexico plan for cheaper rates.

Here are some maps of coverage for the two providers:

Telcel

Movistar

Just based on my experience the coverage seems to be at least as good as the maps suggest.

Dont think that all situations you will have coverage, espeacally when you need it the most! For this race our chase crews always had coverage, but many areas on the course will be spotty. I know from rosario to almost guerro negro there is no coverage, and thats a big stretch! Coverage was great this year, but i always expect no coverage at best, and everything else is a bonus, dialing out is a huge mystery to me

T-mobile has the same coverage as ATT, about as good as it gets for Baja. Of course all those Verizon users are SOL in many places like Felipe.

The big problem is having both caller and receiver in coverage at the same time. Picking up VM is difficult for most in mex also. So texting is the way to go, as well as being by far the cheapest.

Sat phones are good, but in practice they still have issues. Again having someone on the other end to pick up your call can be a problem. Having someone back in the states to manage communications can work well.

With the new spot trackers you can get reliable communications, but with limited messages. Mine is set with 4 basics: all good, bike broke come get me, non emergency help and emergency help. Pretty amazing technology compared to sitting around for a couple of days wondering why your race bike never made it to you down the peninsula.

AT&T has a new plan my wife just got. It's for

The frequent visitor.

Brand new, it's like $70 and you get to make calls all month in either mex or Us same thIng. It's worth checking out for those who are down their mucho

Another option for the verizon guys is the att go phone, pay as you go. I understand you can buy minutes from any pemix station for those also

Race day.

1) have someone in the states text bike status. To cells and sat phones. The text will come thru with even limited service 2) sat phones have never failed us. We use global Star. 3) cell service is usually good near the highway or in

Most towns.

For this 1000 I also used my phone Ojos, km77 borrego, Morelia junction hill south of road x ing. Trinidad, San vicente, urapan etc.

Just riding baja

I carry my tel cel and ATt phones, 5 watt radio and spot. Sat phone would be nice for a longer ride or Going south or San quintin.

For a full run to la Paz.

get a sat phone with car charger and external antenna.