Sign in to follow this  

Question about petcock for Clarke tank

I emailed this question to justgastanks.com a few days ago and haven't gotten a response yet so figured I'd ask the TT experts. I'm looking to order a Clarke tank for a 650L and want to replace the petcock while at it. They offer this one http://justgastanks.com/p558/Clarke-New-Style-Metal-Petcock/product_info.html in grooved and non grooved options. Which is the one I need?

Also, do I need this Clarke Universal Petcock/Gasket Kit http://justgastanks.com/p1083/Universal-Petcock/Gasket-Kit/product_info.html or will the tank and petcock come with everything necessary?

If there's a better/more functional petcock for my application, I would appreciate the info. I'm trying to just order everything I need from one site and this one seems to be the most highly recommended.

Thanks in advance!

I emailed this question to justgastanks.com a few days ago and haven't gotten a response yet so figured I'd ask the TT experts. I'm looking to order a Clarke tank for a 650L and want to replace the petcock while at it. They offer this one http://justgastanks.com/p558/Clarke-New-Style-Metal-Petcock/product_info.html in grooved and non grooved options. Which is the one I need?

Also, do I need this Clarke Universal Petcock/Gasket Kit http://justgastanks.com/p1083/Universal-Petcock/Gasket-Kit/product_info.html or will the tank and petcock come with everything necessary?

If there's a better/more functional petcock for my application, I would appreciate the info. I'm trying to just order everything I need from one site and this one seems to be the most highly recommended.

Thanks in advance!

You made a good choice with the Clarke fuel tank. :cheers: I own two, Clarke fuel tanks, and I like them very much. :) You also chose a good vendor, with good prices, and good customer service. :lol:

If I were you, I would ask Clarke Manufacturing for their recommendations. :smirk: Both my Clarke fuel tanks are designed to use the stock fuel petcocks, and both work well. If I may ask, why do you want to change the fuel petcock?

Spud :banghead:

I think the Clarke tank comes with the rubber petcock gasket included...

Just something as a sidenote:

Whenever you replace petcocks, just check how the length of the fuel pipes compare (the 2 that stick up into the tank) between the 2 petcocks.

I replaced mine on my old DRZ with a WR400 one which was an exact fit. But the long pipe on the new petcock was shorter than the long pipe on the old petcock.

This meant that I had less fuel in reserve with the new petcock.

I figured this out the hard way... :lol::)

Spud, I'm going to change the petcock because the PO had a white Clarke tank on the bike, which I have sold to now get a red one. The stock petcock has quite a bit of rust and is pretty weathered. I have read the great reviews on here about that company and so I'm a little puzzled as to why they have not replied yet. I guess I will just contact Clarke directly. :)

cobusmeyer, thanks for the tip! :lol:

Spud, I'm going to change the petcock because the PO had a white Clarke tank on the bike, which I have sold to now get a red one. The stock petcock has quite a bit of rust and is pretty weathered. I have read the great reviews on here about that company and so I'm a little puzzled as to why they have not replied yet. I guess I will just contact Clarke directly. :lol:...

Yes, I think it's wise to contact Clarke Manufacturing directly. :cheers: The Clarke fuel tanks are designed to accept the stock fuel petcock, and Clarke will know whether or not other fuel petcocks will work properly with their fuel tanks. :)

Spud :banghead:

I've contacted both Clarke and justgastanks.com and, for the 650L, the answer is:

4.7 tank - Clarke Petcock Right Angle With Groove

4.0 tank - Clarke Petcock Right Angle Without Groove

Hope this helps anyone searching for this in the future

:lol:

• Like 1

southcarolinaXR650L is correct. I have both tanks 4.0 and 4.7 and one has the clarke grooved and the other has non grooved. My stock petcock on the 4.0 gal clarke tank was against the head fins. So I used the more compact clarke petcock which didn't touch the fins. The oring in the shut off lever assemblt went bad in 6 monthes. Replaced it and it has went over a year and a half and goin strong.

You would buy a spare stand by petcock, if you really depend on yer bike. When this goes bad, it drips gas wether the valve is shut off or not. The clarke assembly is pipe threaded into an upper section. I replaced my leaking petcock with a NAPA all brass shut off valve, and will be using it after winter. Local parts that will fit are a life saver sometimes.