Sign in to follow this  

Best porting/mods for 05CR250?

Hi, I'm starting my engine rebuild of a '05CR250 and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for who to use for porting/head mods (Gorr, Varner, Pro-Circuit, etc.), is it worthwhile going to 265cc? balance crank? ceramic bearings? best performance piston, phathead? pipe? reeds? PWK?

I'll be riding vet MX in intermediate-sandy terrain and prefer a strong mid-top power band, will run race gas.

Thanks,

Joe.

Joe,

Great timing! I bought a new in the crate 2004 CR250 4 months ago and am now starting all the mods! So far: bought boyssen exhaust flange (did nothing). then installed JD jet kit, awesome. Fork and shock revalve by RG3, great improvement. RG3 top triple Clamp, helped a great deal with the vibration issue. Now I bought but have not installed, FMF fatty pipe and shorty silencer, V Force reeds, magura hydro clutch, pro taber aluminum throttle tube and Kite wide foot pegs. I will install these items in the next couple weeks. As for porting I am thinking of Tom Morgan or Eric Gorr. Oh, also installed 49 tooth renthall rear sprocket. So far the JD jet kit was best value, boyssen flange the worst.

Keihin PWK should be your first mod period! My friend finally did it to his '06 a few months back and is kicking himself in the ass for not doing it sooner!

Ive got an 03 and will add that the pwk is a must! I myself am looking into porting to try and get some overrev, it feels great in the mid range but falls flat too early, will keep an eye on this thread. But in the mean time get that pwk carb!

Did Pro Circuit do McGraths and LaRocco's CR250's back in the day?

Not sure about Larocco but PC did MC's 06 CR250. I remember MC almost podiumed on that bike at 1 of the anaheim races that year he took 4th. The podium spots were all 4t's it was RC, JS & Reed. I don't think the Factory Honda Race team had done any R&D work on the 2t after the 05 season. I had them do my 03 cr250 & it's the fastest 250 2t I've ridden to date ! I considerd some of the other tuners at the top of the thread but wanted an mx powerband. I'd definatley recomend PC's work they did there R&D work on the case reed motor.:lol:

Hondasforlife, is your pc port all top end? Im kinda scared to send it out and get a topend monster, light switch power would wear me out too fast!

Hondasforlife, is your pc port all top end? Im kinda scared to send it out and get a topend monster, light switch power would wear me out too fast!

PC has 2 options for there engine mods. You can have them cut the head to be able to run pump gas. The cyl. porting is the same but they have the option to cut the head for pump or race gas it's your choice. I rode an 05 last yr. that the guy went with the head cut for pump gas & the power felt smooth & torquey. I've had to detune mine when I ride with friends that only ride trails. I just mix 25% of race gas to 75% 91 pump gas & swap out my 50t to a 48t rear sprocket & it melows out the powerband some.

oh well - bad move in my opinion the 250 is a great all around bike I hope your not gonna trail ride that 500 the 250 as a big bore be the better choice. My friend who has the '06 CR 250 just sold his '03 service cr500af that bike sat more then got ridden especially after the 250 showed up.

More power is not always better!