Sign in to follow this  

Which air filter oil is best?

Replacing teh air filter in my sons 2007 yz85.... was wondering which oil you think is the the best?

thanks

Jim

I like something sticky and filthy. Bel Ray works well. I'm not sold on the oils that are watery, easy to put on, and dry to a non-sticky mess. It's funny, though, that in the old days...before air filter oil was "invented", plain old 10-40 was what was used.

I used the Bel-Ray oil for years. It's super sticky and a PITA to work with IMO. Made me dread doing filter maint. I now use PJ1 Spray On filter oil, from what I have seen in my engines it does a fine job.

Your last two threads are both about air filters, surely there are more important things to worry about in a 2007 bike.

I like Bel-Ray. It's very sticky and a real PITA to clean off filters and your hands. That tells me it's got to be good at catching everything that it comes into contact with. I tried PJ1, but it seemed too thin and didn't dry as tacky as Bel-Ray. I also used K&N filter oil years ago, but it's even thinner and made for paper filters, not foam.... That said, pre-oiled Maxima filters are hard to beat for value and simplicity....

• Like 1

yamalube. it actualy is good stuff. its the only yamalube thing i will use. and got 250 hours out of one air filter with it

yamalube. it actualy is good stuff. its the only yamalube thing i will use. and got 250 hours out of one air filter with it
:lol: You sure are filled with "I won't use this or that" ideas. Yamalube has many excellent products.

I also prefer the BelRay filter oil. It goes on fairly thin so it's easy to spread through the filter, and it sets up very sticky and tacky.

I have a special bottle filled with 1/2 bel ray 1/2 motor oil.

A perfect blend to keep it tacky yet not a sticky/clogged mess to clean up next time.

Bel-ray, when it comes time to clean i first put it in gas, followed by hot water with some laundry detergent. No the gas does not eat the foam, has not eaten the foam for the 20 years i have been doing this..

Bel-ray, when it comes time to clean i first put it in gas, followed by hot water with some laundry detergent. No the gas does not eat the foam, has not eaten the foam for the 20 years i have been doing this..

I do the same thing, only i use dish soap.:lol:

I've used nothing but No-toil for the last 5 years mostly because they are the easiest.

I've used nothing but No-toil for the last 5 years mostly because they are the easiest.

I've not tried it for several years. Is it decent in allowing no dirt?

Love the easy clean idea, though.