Sign in to follow this  

2005 YZF 250 top end

hey guys i been searching for the anwser but can't find it any where so figured i would ask on here.

I got a YZ250f and tore her down because of a loud knocking noise randomly,

so i ended up having piston slap and the cylinder wall is a bit scratched looking but you cant feel it. so my question is can i clean the cylinder walls some how ? or do i need a new jug...

thanks guys!

You can clean them but don't hone them. They have a very thin layer of hardened metal and honing it will go thru that layer. You could always send the jug out and have it re-coated. Depending on budget and time a new cylinder may be the answer. Good excuse to get a big bore!!!

Alright, im just trying to get back up and running for as little as possible since im a college student funds are tight :lol:

also the owner before me said there was a new top end in it like 8 hours on it then i bought it ran it for 1/4 of the summer... there are still crosshatches on the cylinder wall ( should they even be there ) and what could have caused the piston to suddenly be slapping the cylinder with the skirt? like there is alot of clearence there :S

You can run a hone thru it, but only a little. We did mine for 8 turns really slow moving up and down to put a cross hatch back in it for breaking in the rings. Worked great. I ran that piston over 125 hours without trouble or smoking.