Sign in to follow this  

03 yz250f buying help please

ive been looking at a 2003 yz250f and the guy wants 1200.00 for it....my question is this.... are there any know problems with these year bikes? i know some of the older kx250f and rmz bike were know as valve eaters ....what years did they make this bike? for example my kx 250 was basically the same from 99 to 2002....is there anything else i should know about these bikes before buying?

The 03 is the first year for auto decomp on the exhaust cam, so its a choice bike. Ask owner when he last rebuilt it. Check steering head bearing and wheel bearing for wear. Check shock linkages for play and worn bearings. Check chain and sprocket for wear as well and brake pads. Remember all worn items are negotiable. Ask to pull the seat so you can look at the air filter. Ask how often he cleans it and what filter he runs. If its a Twin Air, thank him. Ask to pull it out and look for dust in the air boot to the carb. Feel of the motor to see if its warm or hot. Always ask to ride it. If it cranks in 3 kicks or less, its good. 5 -7 kicks, needs more fuel. 10-15 kicks or doesn't crank, then valves need adjusted / replaced depending on dirty air filter and dirt in the boot to the carb.

I bought my 03 sight unseen, knew it had issues, and rode it for 100+ hours. When it blew up, I rebuilt it. Now it needs another rebuild so I got a 262 cylinder. Can't wait to try it.