Sign in to follow this  

California Need new riding pants?

I need to get some new riding pants, I want to get a pair for the cooler weather you are likely to encounter this time of year in socal. I am not really into the flashy graphics, just want a plain pair that are windproof and weather proof.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for the input..

TR

I'll second the Klim products, you pay a little more but their stuff is very finctional and well built.

I have a set of their Dakar Pants, great when it's cool but still have plenty of ventilation for warmer days

Klim makes great stuff!!!
I'll second the Klim products, you pay a little more but their stuff is very finctional and well built.

I have a set of their Dakar Pants, great when it's cool but still have plenty of ventilation for warmer days

Those are exactly what I am looking for, thanks..:lol:

• Like 1

I think I have narrowed it down to either the Klim Dakar or the chinook pants. The Dakar fits over the boot and the Chinook tucks into the boot. Are these the only differences between the two except that the Dakar is $10 more a pair?

I will call TO motorsports to see if they have both so I can try them on and make a decision.

I have never had riding pants that do not tuck into the boot. It seems that the over the boot design might wear out quicker because more of the pant is exposed to abuse.

However, that may make the boots last longer being covered up.

The Dakar fits over the boot and the Chinook tucks into the boot. Are these the only differences between the two except that the Dakar is $10 more a pair?.

The Chinook has a belt, the Dakar does not. Chinook has zippered pockets vs velcro flap on Dakar. The stretch pannels on the Chinook are a newer/better material. Klim does a model redesign every 2-3 years. The Dakar has not been updated in 2-3 years. The Chinook and Baja were updated last year.

I have both. The Dakar is my winter pants - they are warmer and keep the mud/water out of the tops of your boots. I did a big ride in the snow with creek crossings and I was the only one with dry feet. I have zero wear on the bottom edges of the pants after 2 years. I have torn buckles off boots on rocks wearing in-the-boot pants. I prefer over the boots if the weather allows it. You would not catch me in the Dakars in the summer.

I also have the Baja mesh in-the-boot pants in the new light gray. Best summer pants ever.

Edited by DrKayak

Like Dr said, the pants that are over the boot help keep elements out of your boots, and usually you stay a lot dryer. I also like them because its easier to change in and out of at the truck. You don't have to put your knee/shin guards on before your riding pants.

But I like the look of the in boot pants, and you know what my old man always taught me............looking good is #1 :lol:

I perfer in the boot pants ( I am weird like that) I had problems with a cheap pair of over the boot pants getting burned on the pipe and snagged on the pegs and bushes.

The Chinnok pants are the best pants ever IMHO they have HUGE zippered vents which can be completely closed when it is cold like in the morning and then opened in the afternoon. I think they are the most versatile if you are only buying one pair of pants a year and they will still be around as a back up next year.

my 2 cents

Thousand Oaks Powersports stocks a bunch of Klim gear..

I went there saturday and tried on the dakar and chinook pants. I went with the dakar, I think I will be happy with those.

They have a great selection or riding gear there and the cutie that was helping me out there was very nice. :)

Thanks again for telling me about that place.:lol:

See you on the trail.. :banghead:

TR