Sign in to follow this  

Honda 2006 Recon 250 start/idle issues

Been having problems getting my recon to run properly.

First, when using the electric start, I hear a rapid ticking from behind the battery but the starter does not consistently turn. Voltage reads 12.3v which I would guess is a bit low but not dead.

When using the recoil starter, it takes many pulls while toying with the choke to get the engine started. With the choke left on, it will run for 10-15 seconds and die. If I move to half choke, it usually instantly dies. Sometimes I can get it to run with no choke, but it will eventually die and has erratic idle. Regardless of choke position, if I hold the throttle, the engine speed will fluctuate a lot even while I keep the throttle steady.

I had previously drained the tank and cleaned the carb from some wet fuel, this was a couple months ago. Has only been used a couple hours since then and stored in a garage.

Things I have checked:

Air filter (cleaned)

Oil (changed)

Spark plug (good condition, gap in spec)

Valve clearance (in spec)

Battery (12.3v, shouldn't effect recoil start/idle?)

All fuel lines/wires/etc appear in good condition.

Fuel flows from tank, throttle operates smootly. And again, the carb was cleaned only a few hours of riding time ago. Should I pull the carb apart again, or is there something else I should look at?

Any help is appreciated.

My wife's 250 Recon popped on decel and was tricky to start. Our dealer turned the fuel screw out to 3 turns from bottomed and that cured both problems. I had a battery in a garden tractor that would show 13+ volts until you put a load on it and it would drop to 4 volts. This was on a new tractor no less.

After cleaning the carb again and toying with the idle screw, we got the thing running temporarily. It still goes back to doing the exact same thing though. Also sounds like backfiring at high rpm, but that could just be that it's the first time I've heard it run in a garage.

Going to try a new spark plug, although I'm not very confident.

If the bike sat for even as short as a couple weeks it is possible to clog up the jets in the carb. Especially the pilot jet. I think your running problem is all in the carb being dirty. Since you were able to get it running you might want to try putting some Sea Foam in the gas and see if that will finish cleaning out of the carb. You can get it at any auto parts store. Just follow the directions on the can. Also, if you store the bike even for a short time Sea Foam can be used as a fuel perservative and avoids the jets in the carbs getting gummed up.

The backfiring at high RPMs, if you're just revving it up in the garage, could just be that you are hitting the rev limiter, but I agree, I would try the Sea foam. Also, if you do get some improvement, run some high octane fuel through it and add half a bottle of Chevron's Techron to a full tank of fuel. This stuff is pure detergent, and has done well for me in the past, whether it be in my car, or my ATVs. Good luck, and keep us updated.

Does the Recon have a rubber boot where the carb attaches to the motor? Check it for holes/air leaks.