Sign in to follow this  

Front brake is terrible...

Does anyone else think the front brake on the 450x is almost inadequate?

I am new to the X, but compared to what I have had in the past it is very short on stopping power.

What is everyone else doing to get the braking power up? Galfer pads, rotor? or are you just skipping straight to an oversize kit?

Get a newer r front brake master cylinder. Larger improvements than a oversived rotor and ss brake line. I have all 3.

Galfer wave rotor and pads along with a braided line make a huge difference!

Just curious. What are the riding conditions that demonstrate the poor braking capability? On an open track, or on the street? My 2005's brakes seem fine to me for trail riding. Seems like I loose traction between the tire and dirt before I hit the limit of the braking force.:lol:

Just curious. What are the riding conditions that demonstrate the poor braking capability? On an open track, or on the street? My 2005's brakes seem fine to me for trail riding. Seems like I loose traction between the tire and dirt before I hit the limit of the braking force.:lol:

I am riding trails here in southern CA. Places like Gorman, dove springs, etc.

It is not that the front brake will not stop the bike. My complaint is the effort required at the lever to get the stoping power.

It sounds like the brake system needs to be disassembled and cleaned. My 05 has a very easy brake pull, and yes, it is bled.

The X is a tank, and hard to stop. The stock X brakes are adequate, if everything is tuned up: braided lines, oem pads, bleed, etc.

It also sounds like your pads and rotor are contaminated.

I second that. It does not take much oil/fluid/chemical to ruin the pads.

Ever blow the left fork seal? That would by my first thing to rule out.

450X felt like a 250 2T after getting off an XR650R

So my x was purchased used and although the fork seals were not leaking when I got that doesn't mean they didn't leak on the pads as some point right. So I removed everything and hit the rotor with some scotch bright. I also installed some new OEM pads and changed the fluid which did help, however I am still disapointed with the front brakes performance. I guess I will stepping up to larger rotor... A fun money pit!

Also I think it is a weight thing because an R front brake is fine.

So my x was purchased used and although the fork seals were not leaking when I got that doesn't mean they didn't leak on the pads as some point right. So I removed everything and hit the rotor with some scotch bright. I also installed some new OEM pads and changed the fluid which did help, however I am still disapointed with the front brakes performance. I guess I will stepping up to larger rotor... A fun money pit!

Also I think it is a weight thing because an R front brake is fine.

Scotch brite will do NOTHING to help the rotors. It's not about friction, it's about contact area.

You must soak them in solvent. If you put new pads on a contaminated rotor, you just contaminated the pads.

Then you need to break in the pads.

Wide open throttle for a few seconds, followed by very quick, very hard, slamming on the front brakes, about 5 times. Check the rotor for heat, and if it's hot, let it cool down and do it again. You have to do this while the pads are still new, for it to work.