Sign in to follow this  

Trouble installing Hammerhead shifter on 450R?

Has anyone installed a Hammerhead shifter on a new CRF450R??

I tried to install one tonight and it made me feel really dumb. The stock shifter came off no problem, but I couldn't get the new one on to save my life.

It slides on the shift shaft fine, but I can't get the bolt to screw all the way in and seat flat like its supposed to.

The bolt looks like it goes in from the bottom up. Any ideas???

I got the bolt to be tight( or so it seems) but its not seated flat and won't go any further...

Thoughts on what seems like an idiot proof job?

Did u test thread it before u tried to install it??? May need a tap ran through it.

Bolt seemed to run through the shifter fine with the lever off the bike.. As soon as level put on the bike..NO GO!!!!

If I remember right. When I got mine they included a shorter bolt with it.

Jeff

Also, even with a shorter bolt as long as it's tight your good to go. The shift lever won't come off until the bolt is backed out most of the way.

Also, even with a shorter bolt as long as it's tight your good to go. The shift lever won't come off until the bolt is backed out most of the way.

Yea, it seems tight.. but its bothering me now.

Almost sounds like the bolt is in backwards / the bolt should go through one half of the shifter then past the cutaway on the shift shaft , then thread back into the other half of the shifter , you need to put the shifter on the shaft first then put in the bolt.It needs to close the gap in the shifter to be tight .