Sign in to follow this  

2012 ktm 300xc

I have been loving my 2008 450xc-f, but was after something that would be better in the woods. The sales guy who I chit chat with all the time suggested something that I have been thinking about for a while. A 2012 300 xc !!!!! :lol::banana: So I contemplated between the xc and the xcw and put a deposit on a xc and can't wait for spring to come!!!

Awesome - congrats!! :lol:

When do you pick it up? Not much better than getting a new KTM :).

I just put a deposit down on a 2012 300 XC-W. Can't wait. Although I still have the XC vs. XC-W battle happening in my head. I just dont wanna see the 13's come out and XC-W now comes with link!

I will be selling my 08 450 xc-f cause as much as I like to ride I don't have the time for both. As for my decision to go with the xc over the w that is something that my sales guy helped me decide cause I wasn't quite sure myself especially cause it wasn't just between the two, the 300 the berg was in the mix being that it's basically the bike that would be in-between the two. I don't really do too much slow technical stuff, I prefer to be going fast and the link rear and closed cartridge front forks is what I think is best for the type of riding that I do. Credit for this decision does go to the guy that sold me it as he is the one that listened to me to help me decide, also I've known him for a few years now.:lol::ride:

I was kinda figuring it was going to be a faster paced answer , as that is the only thing i could ascertain from the 2 is the wide would be excellent in the slow stuff because you would not be constantly shifting , the tighter ratio would be better for faster more open type aggressive riding , that was something i like about my Honda 450X , is the tranny (the weight wears you out on a 50+ mile ride thru rocks and roots , but that wide ratio tranny sure makes for a lot less work and helps take away the weight feeling) , just keep it in a gear and go

This is kinda weird, but I too use to have a honda 450x that I traded in for my 08 450xc-f. The xc in the KTM line is a semi close ratio, so it's a perfect fit if you like to do moto and trails. If you go into KTM's website and download the owners manuals of the 300xc and 300xcw, you can see that the w has only a lower first gear, the rest are the same.

That i did not know , i thought the whole tranny ratio was different , hence the W for Wide Ratio is what i thought , i will look it up now , as i am curious as to the actual differences of the bikes , as i certainly would not mind having one , but had been looking at the W more because of how i thought it related to my 450X tranny and how i like that more than my 450R tranny for tight trail riding , i thought the XC and XC-W were kind of on those lines of difference

I know (i think) that the 250XC and XC-W are different in the means of E-Start and no linkage , so the tranny on the 250 would be the same as well like the 300 then ??

I also wanted a non linkage bike so it would be easier on logs and places where linkage hangs up

As to the tranny ratios. On the W first and second are lower than the XC.. The rest are zactly the same..

I have been loving my 2008 450xc-f, but was after something that would be better in the woods. The sales guy who I chit chat with all the time suggested something that I have been thinking about for a while. A 2012 300 xc !!!!! :lol::banana: So I contemplated between the xc and the xcw and put a deposit on a xc and can't wait for spring to come!!!

Nice! I had a 08 KTM 450 at one point also. Your going to love the 2012. The new link is flat out awesome. It will make you wonder what the heck you were doing with your 08. I bought the 250xc and its been nothing but awesome. The transmissions, with the 6 speed are awesome for the fireroad sections, the stock gearing is great. Super light clutch pull, electric start, etc etc. I have to ask, why spring though? Seems kinda long to wait for the bike. I got mine about 5 weeks ago.

Congrats though! If your looking for suspension work Geoff at GP Moto is the man to go to. Hes has got some pretty amazing setups that you might really like. I had my KTM done by pro-action and thought it was great till I tried Geoffs stuff.

You can lug the 300 xc all you want in the tight stuff but then when it is time to get on the pipe it makes you smile every time. I came off of an '08 450 xcf and love the tranny ratio of the '12 300 xc in the single track, creek beds, hill climbs, etc.

Well as far as waiting for spring, it's cause I live in Alberta, Canada and there's lots of snow!! And I too want my suspension re-valved to my riding style.

Well the reason for waiting for spring is cause here in Ab, Canada we have quite a bit of snow on the ground. As far as the suspension goes, that is something that I'm going to have upgraded to my weight and riding style.

i just ordered a 2012 250xc but the thing that sucks is that i had to sell my bike to buy the new one so now i have nothing to ride till the new one comes :-(

as soon as it shows up i'm shipping the forks and shock off to riders edge to get the suspension done. ian did my 09 250xc and the difference was huge and a lot better then my 2 friends that got their suspension done by someone else(rtr and some other shop that i forgot).

if you want the best take it to riders edge. i courier my stuff to him on monday morning and i get it back thursday. totally customized internals that make your wp ride like a fork that is crossed with a showa and a ohlins on steroids, super smooth and sucks up those square edge hits like a girl from surrey. i cant give them enough rep...simply the best!

i just ordered a 2012 250xc but the thing that sucks is that i had to sell my bike to buy the new one so now i have nothing to ride till the new one comes :-(

as soon as it shows up i'm shipping the forks and shock off to riders edge to get the suspension done. ian did my 09 250xc and the difference was huge and a lot better then my 2 friends that got their suspension done by someone else(rtr and some other shop that i forgot).

if you want the best take it to riders edge. i courier my stuff to him on monday morning and i get it back thursday. totally customized internals that make your wp ride like a fork that is crossed with a showa and a ohlins on steroids, super smooth and sucks up those square edge hits like a girl from surrey. i cant give them enough rep...simply the best!

I 2nd what you said! I had Geoff a GP moto in kamloops do my suspension. He is one of the only shops that does Riders Edge suspension settings. My 2012 KTM 250xc was done earlier in October and it is just unbelievable. I highly recommend it, either from Geoff or Ian, it's the same stuff.

Thanks for all the good feedback, nice to here that other people went from a 450 to a 300 and love it. If I can't find someone good in Edmonton to do the suspension then I will take your advice and send my stuff to that guy in Kamloops.

Thanks again for all the input guys!!

Take it home and ride it stock. The XC comes perfect for Alberta.

Do not change valving (springs ok)

Do not use a rekluse (that's for those BC pansies)

Do not waste time with steering dampers.

Do not run "special oil for break in"

Do not use a gnarly. (If the 300 doesn't have enough low end, give up)

Do not stop riding because of snow

Do have fun.

Take it home and ride it stock. The XC comes perfect for Alberta.

Do not change valving (springs ok)

Do not waste time with steering dampers.

Do not run "special oil for break in"

Do not use a gnarly. (If the 300 doesn't have enough low end, give up)

Do not stop riding because of snow

Do have fun.

Lol, take this advice lightly!

Yep, BC is the California of Canada - lots of fruits and assorted nuts.

And to think think I lived 1/2 block from Davie Street in Vancouver years back. :lol::) Maybe that's why I run a Rekluse now.