Sign in to follow this  

Yes...I am looking for a used 2012 KX450F for sale

I know a few of the bigger dealers in OR that are actually dealing on them cant keep them on the floor. One dealer told me he has already gone well over his alloted amount of 12 450s and if he wants to get any more he has to get them from other dealers which affects his cost on them. Anyone else heard about each dealer only being alloted a certain # of bikes from Kawa and once they get them they have to dealer trade to get anymore? Also said your allotement is based on how many bikes they sold the year before. Seems like its BS and Kawa would give them as many 450s as they could sell ?

I duno if thats how it works or not. On one hand u would think they would give away as many as they can sell, but i bet if they do it that way its how they end up with some dealers with tons of leftovers because the other dealers are just blowing them out.

I know a few of the bigger dealers in OR that are actually dealing on them cant keep them on the floor. One dealer told me he has already gone well over his alloted amount of 12 450s and if he wants to get any more he has to get them from other dealers which affects his cost on them. Anyone else heard about each dealer only being alloted a certain # of bikes from Kawa and once they get them they have to dealer trade to get anymore? Also said your allotement is based on how many bikes they sold the year before. Seems like its BS and Kawa would give them as many 450s as they could sell ?

What the dealer told you is true, they have a certain allotment based on previous years sales. Big volume dealers like Chaparral can stuff the little dealers on inventory. With the trouble in Japan last year, supply could be limited as well.

I guess it makes sense. Looks like there is going to be a lot of dealer trading going on and the 12's will be in short supply come the middle of next year at least in the Portland, OR area. I am sure the 13's will see a price increase as well that never fails, even if its just BNG.

Edited by Redlines

if u look hard enough u can get em for 7300 new.. 6k is fair for a bike that has 4 hours or maybe it has 40 hours?

if u look hard enough u can get em for 7300 new.. 6k is fair for a bike that has 4 hours or maybe it has 40 hours?

OTD? Wow, wish I had your area pricing.

Trust me, I could tell the difference between 4 and 40hrs.

Ya all u gotta do is travel to another state and avoid paying state sales tax and its not hard to pay 7300.. I work a lot in arizona and cali though and i realize stuff does cost a little more there.

Maybe i was exaggerating about the 40 hours, but honestly it wouldnt be that hard to disguise it. Put on new set of OEM tires and thats it, maybe new clutch cover too. (or if you put a custom clutch cover on when you bought it, just reinstall your old one. Then all you gotta do is maybe wd and steel wool the frame a tad and it would look brand new. Especially if it was only ridden on MX track and didnt get scratched up at all.

Now maybe this guy has a receipt that says he bought the bike a week ago and the 4 hours is reasonable.. but honestly if the dude has had the bike since the '12s were first available do you really think its only got 4 hours on it?? I put 4 hours on my bike in one day some times.

The guy may have bought the bike in Aug or last week. I once bought a bike from a guy who rode it ONE time and it was too much for him. After sitting in his garage for two months he decided to sell. You decide if the guy is being honest based on a conversation and inspecting the bike carefully. Easy to disguise if your trying to fool a novice or kid maybe.

You'd have to replace a lot more than tires, engine covers and some spit polish to fool the trained eye. Starting with the oem drivetrain..sprockets, sliders, rollers and guide. The frame, wheels, lower forks and linkage have a factory finish that can't be restored by polishing. Unless your riding on a golf course its going to show. The connection point between the seat base, tank and frame also shows certain wear after more than a few hours that is impossible to hide. I could go on but you get the idea.

I've bought many bikes in AZ and CA and did the no tax deal a couple times. Unfortunately no tax also comes with no title, only an mso or certificate or origin. So there is a trade off. Try selling a bike here with no title :bonk:

Anyway, today, a 2012 450 with less than 5 true hours for 7K would sell in a heartbeat.. In AZ or CA it would be like saving 1500 over the dealer. Your lucky if you find that price laughable.

• Like 1

Ok ya i agree with you on the parts wear.. But some people replace all that stuff as soon as they get the bike, so if they wana sell, all they gotta do is slap all the stock stuff back on. still possible to disguise.. but all in all.. your are right.

As far as the title goes.. when i buy out of state, the issuing state sends me a title for that state.. If you want to get it transferred to your home state, then u pay the state tax.. Do you need to register bikes in AZ?? I have sold plenty of bikes without a title.. I always keep the out-of-state title in case they want it, but the issue of a title has honestly never came up.

Unfortunately AZ went the CA route a couple years ago, now you need to register everything to ride anywhere offroad, and its a huge hassle with no title. They also ding you on the state tax if the bike was purchased out of state. It doesn't affect me much as I ride 95% tracks and don't register. But if your selling a bike, a title is a big deal because of the new offroad laws.