Sign in to follow this  

2 or 4 stroke??????????

hey guy i am trying to get into this awesome sport and am trying to decide on a bike. i don't know if i should buy a 2 stoke or 4? i will mostly be doing trail riding and hill climbs with short run ins. and also looking at a 250 so if you have any advice i want to hear all of it:ride:

sort of hard to say... really depends on what you want, both of them are good. 4 strokes have more torque, and are smoother. while 2 strokes are cheaper to maintain, lighter, and quicker...

I agree it is really a preference situation. I ride in the mountains and rode cr250's until this season. I got myself a crf450 and I'll never go back.

This is all just my humble opinion:

4 strokes are boring. They have smooth power, and are easy to ride, in turn making them more beginner friendly. But you will pay for that, as 4 strokes are going to cost you more than a 2 stroke in most every aspect. (I'm talking about modern, high performance 4 strokes)

2 strokes are just fun. They are lighter, faster, and more nimble than any 4 stroke will ever be, while being simple and easy for anyone to work on. And, my favorite part, they are cheap! Cheaper to buy and use.

So, my recommendation for your situation would be to buy an XR200 or XR400, and ride it until you are comfortable on bikes and are looking for something more. Then sell that and get a 2 stroke! :lol:

lol 2 strokes are faster than a 4 stroke ? that's such crap it depends what you are riding, just because they have snappier power doesn't mean its a faster bike, its amazing some of the bull*(& opinions written on these forums. Faster around a track or super tight trail maybe, open tracks and faster trails id like to see your 2stroke beat my 570. Also depends on the rider a good rider on a ttr250 will smoke a crap rider on any bike.

I would say 2 stoke just from a mechnical side. If you dont know much about bikes, 2 strokes can be cheap to fix if something goes wrong and depending on what it was you could possibly fix it yourself. Other then the motors, everything is pretty much the same when it comes to the two. Either bike will be fun. If you have some mechanical knowledge and are willing to take the time to learn about how a four stroke runs/checking valves and adjusting if needed/fresh oil etc etc, a 4 stroke will be fine also.

If I were the OP, I would get something like a xr/ttr250. Excellent bikes to learn on and you won't lose a lot of value when you decide to get something else.

this thread is gay:busted:

Takes one to know one...

lol 2 strokes are faster than a 4 stroke ? that's such crap it depends what you are riding, just because they have snappier power doesn't mean its a faster bike, its amazing some of the bull*(& opinions written on these forums. Faster around a track or super tight trail maybe, open tracks and faster trails id like to see your 2stroke beat my 570. Also depends on the rider a good rider on a ttr250 will smoke a crap rider on any bike.

2 strokes produce more power per cc than a 4 stroke. It's a fact. Oh and a cr500af would smoke your 570. Thats all I have to say. I don't want to turn this thread into a big argument. He just wanted people's opinions, so just post your own opinion and don't bash someone else's. But I agree that the rider is all the difference.

Lol you cant bring the 500 into it thats apples and oranges, 2 strokes sound like a strangled cat if you really wanna get picky

Do you understand the meaning of irony? You bash other people's "BS" opinions, while posting a huge load of BS? :lol:

Of course your 570 will be faster than my KX250, the engine has more than twice the displacement.

You probably ought to wipe your own ass before you start accusing others of smelling like sh*t.

hey guy i am trying to get into this awesome sport and am trying to decide on a bike. i don't know if i should buy a 2 stoke or 4? i will mostly be doing trail riding and hill climbs with short run ins. and also looking at a 250 so if you have any advice i want to hear all of it:ride:

Really can't say with the limited background info. Age, size, shape and skill set?

Are you an athlete in other sports? Nimble, strong???

id like to see your tank race a cr500..

Lol you cant bring the 500 into it thats apples and oranges, 2 strokes sound like a strangled cat if you really wanna get picky

and 4 strokes sound like a farting dog.. lmao

and 4 strokes sound like a farting dog.. lmao

dude you need to switch dog food brands :banghead: there is over 10k threads on this subject...ride what you want to ride not what somebody else says is best to ride...unless of course they are buying it for you :lol: Happy Thanksgiving to all and happy riding :)