Sign in to follow this  

sand blasting

i will be doing the sand blasting my self just wondering if i have to coat the bear metal when im done or somthing

Yeah you will need to prime it, the quicker the better really. Its a good idea to give the blasted metal a light sand to smooth things out b4 you prime, it will help give a better finish with your top coat. Make sure the primer you use is designed to go straight over metal and doesnt need some kind of etch primer first.

Yes it will rust as soon as you put your hand on the frame after you blast it. Prime as soon as you can.Handle with clean gloves.

000 is enough grit,00 is rather course.Remember to get all the oil and greese off before you start as it will cling to the frame and your paint will not stick.

Your paint is only as good as the primer,go cheep and the paint will fall off.

As a kid i blasted everything my dads friends restored,spent hours under the hood getting dusted. Get a good hood,dust mask and long sleaved shirt. Just remember,clean,clean,clean.Paint aint gonna stick to greese or dirt.

As others replied, it will rust immediately. It's mild steel tubing.Not stainless steel or chromoly. If you're not willing to give it a good shot of quality paint or powdercoat it, leave it be. If you're looking to paint it it and try to keep a stock looking color, Jeekinz probably has your answer, he has done a few restos and a great paint matching thread on here. But I think these were for the engine. But I wouldn't doubt he has a good idea for a green frame.

When sand blasting duct tape is you friend...........

Put it around the bottom of you pant leg. It's a pain in the rear to get the media out of your shoes or work boots.

Get a good quality dust mask as well.