Sign in to follow this  

really,really stupid question....floats

OK, I have a dumb question, I guess I've never thought about it before, and back when cars had floats, they were not spring loaded.

I should have asked this 40 years ago when I started riding bikes.

OK, OK... so when you set the floats, the books always have you turn the carb upside down,fine, but it does compress the spring loaded pin in the float a little bit, I have to guess that is to simulate the buoyancy the fuel gives the float to pre-load the float a little to seal shut.

I have held the carb at a little angle to make the float shut the needle without pushing the pin in at all, just can't talk myself into saying which is the best.

I'm thinking the upside down way is best, with the load it puts on the pin, it is probably closest to real world conditions.

Thoughts?:lol:

How I set float level, just how I do it, not wanting to "debate" my technique with anyone, I'm 55 yo and I do things the way I've done them for 35 years, just puttin' it out there, you can take or leave it:

I cut the top of an old bleach bottle, leave a small shallow bowl. Fill it with gasoline. Put a tube on the carb fuel inlet with the bowl off. Hold the tube in my mouth and put air pressure on the tube. Lower the carb, at the angle which it is installed on the bike, into the gasoline, while blowing thru the tube. The air will cut off when the float actuates the needle valve.

all the manuals are pretty clear on this.tip carb until needle is seated but not compressing the spring.

If you have a carb with a drain screw (fcr) You can take a clear hose and turn it upwards along side the carb.Turn the gas on and loosen the screw on the drain and it will go up the tube and show you exactly where the level is.It's a nice double check. Good Luck,Steve

I have held the carb at a little angle to make the float shut the needle without pushing the pin in at all, just can't talk myself into saying which is the best.

That is best.

JayC