Sign in to follow this  

dr200se 2nd set of wheels - options?

Hi guys,

I clearly have a lot to learn, but haven't gotten really far poking around the forums, so here goes.

I have a 2005 dr200se, and want to be able to swap wheels for dirt vs dual-sport riding.

Which models/years had easily swappable wheels for my bike? For example, on ebay I see '96 dr200 wheels but have no idea how compatible they'd be. Looking at the photo doesn't help much since it doesn't seem to include the sprocket. I have a feeling that since my bike has a rear drum (sigh...least favorite "feature" for sure) limits my options, but I know next to nothing.

I actually wouldn't mind finding something a little wider. Stock rim is 100mm wide, and that limits tire selection quite a bit. From memory I think there is some extra clearance available with my current setup (stock 100/90 deathwings), but not sure how much.

Any hints on anything else I'd need to know for any suggested options (spacers etc) would be really appreciated - sorry for being such a complete noob.

Thanks!

-Rob

Once the turkey wears off, I still would love to hear any pointers on a 2nd setup.

But here's another question. There are some very good compromise tires - like dunlop d606 - which would probably cover my limited street needs plus give enough haul in the woods. But they don't make em in my size. I've heard people claiming to have mounted d606's on their dr200se. How'd they do that? Can you mount a wider tire safely?

OEM rear = 100/90-18. Smallest d606: 120/90-18

OEM front = 70/100-21. Smallest d606: 90/90-21

would rimlocks help make those work?

thanks again!

Edited by thespeedbag

I'm pretty sure that all the DR200 wheels will interchange spite the year differences. I don't think they'll interchange with other model bikes though.

Short of swapping rims back and forth, an idea I've toyed with, the Kendra 270 does damn well out here in the sugar sand of jersey and is still not bad on the street up to about 70 mph. The rear tire wares very well, I have about 1,300 street miles on my rear and it's just slightly past what I would consider half it's usable life for the dirt. My front tire however is ok for for casual riding off road but for rides like the Hammer Run I just made would call for a new one.

Good luck on your quest.

Thanks Dentman! I've heard that the 270 is a pretty capable compromise. This weekend I rode a friend's dr200se which had a cheng shin trials tire on it. That model doesn't seem to be available (at least not at motorcycle superstore, where I have a credit I'd like to use), but I was impressed with how that tire hooked up. After a little research it seems the pirelli mt43 is a good choice - they make it in my size, and it apparently handles tarmac well (unlike the dunlop and michelin trials tires...which are said to work better off road, but meh, always a compromise). So I'll try the mt43. I'm not a big wheel-spinnin, roost-chuckin rider anyway, more of a roll my way carefully over stuff kind of guy, and I hear that style suits a trials tire. I'm not bashing more frenetic riding...I just don't have the skills or the bike for it ;-).

In other news, I looked at the microfiches of the 1996 dr200 and the 2005 dr200se (mine) on bikebandit, and the rim sizes are identical, and all of the other bits that make up the assembly appear identical too. Seems hyperdriver was correct (not that I doubted him). If the mt43 leaves me wishing for a nastier off road setup, now I know the old dr boneyard (aka ebay) is a viable plan B.