Sign in to follow this  

NorthCarolina Brown mtn ohv trails

will be riding brown mtn with 12 y/o son tomorrow. Any advice on the trails? we usually ride at CAW and TNT. We ride trails and track at TNT. Not crazy about real rocky areas. We like trails that are flowing and that allow you to keep a decent speed up.

any advice is appreciated. is it typical that you go out for an hour or so and then head back to truck for a break?

Gchev if you don't like rocky terrain then you may want to consider somewhere besides brown tomorrow. The place is fun as hell but trying to find a trail without a lot rocks at Brown is like trying to walk through a mine field... in other words, it just ain't gonna happen lol.

Yep, lots of rocks at Brown. For what you prefer, my advice would be to go to brushy instead. The youth loop is a lot of fun with good flow and speed. All 26 miles of #1 are good too for fast and flowy... some rocks but not like Brown. Richard can give you more advice once you are there. There's an mx track, but it isn't the highlight of the park.

Brown is often pretty crowded the day after thanksgiving, so if you do go, be careful on the two-way trails. To avoid the rockier, more technical trails, stay off of 1a and 3. #5 and 7 are moto only and one way but really rooty in spots. They are on top of the mountain with only moderate elevation changes. #2 is rocky and rooty and holds the most puddles. #9 is the big descent off the mtn, but finishes with some short climbs and plenty of rocks. Riding the the first part of 9 then 10 back to 1 isn't too bad.

thanks for the advice guys.

we rode brown friday and it was fun but my son struggled some. yeah, lots o rock there but once we had an idea of what to expect it helped a lot. the second and third runs up the main trail (#1 i think) were fun. coming down had to be very careful with the 2 way as everybody wants to ride the berms regardless of which side of the road.

thanks for the note on brushy. we want to get up there soon.

Crowded? Depends on where you ride:smirk:

Lol. The parking lot was crazy packed but I didn't see but 4 riders all morning..:lol:.......:)

Lol. The parking lot was crazy packed but I didn't see but 4 riders all morning..:lol:.......:)

The PL & the roadway to the top can be the most dangerous locations at the Brown frown....unfortunately:bonk: