Sign in to follow this  

Astro Van

I have a small pickup but i wanna get a van its faster than dealing with high ramps and ratchet straps i figure bolt a wheel choke to the floor one strap and my gear bag and im off. Id love to get a box van but it is unsightly to my neighbors so i figured mabey an astro van is the way to go does anyone have one does it work well, will a bike fit in easy?

Ask Eddie Sisneros, TT jetting expert and DRZ Guru. He has had a history with these vans.:lol:

they get fairly good mpg (17,18 ) better if they are tuned a little, plenty of room for one bike little cramped for two, but doable, loading is easier if you use the tiedown trick on the front forks,

My extended '03 e-350 with 5.4 v8 gets 17-18mpg.

An Astro was my 2nd choice(glade I didn't go that route).

:lol:

My extended '03 e-350 with 5.4 v8 gets 17-18mpg.

An Astro was my 2nd choice(glade I didn't go that route).

:lol:

what type of bike do you carry

I had a 94 Asto SWB. I had to use a ratchet strap on the front forks to compress them to get the bike in the van. After that I could release the ratchet strap.

I had a nice Astro a few years back, used a three rail or enclosed bike trailer mostly, but bought it with intentions with having the bike inside. I suppose a Cargo style would have a bit more room too. I made it fit but wouldn't of been possible without tying down the forks first.

n629235061_5543654_1258.jpg

Now I have a full size and like it much more, not to mention its a diesel which is great for me. I would like a raised roof on it, but the all mighty dollar is in the way.

149931_10150309504055062_629235061_15499964_2405034_n.jpg

I have 97' astro, fits two big bikes no problem- I just use a regular strap to compress the forks to get in, then release once in. Gets about 18mpg city/hwy combined and it fits in my short door garage.

I have a 03 gmc safari for sale good condition 156000 mi good tires brakes etc. Has 6 lug hd sercvice tow package 5500 bo 419-203-9877

I'm considering an AWD Astro as my next moto vehicle. I like the idea of the AWD and the smaller size. I'm thinking of setting it up for light duty camping, possibly carting the bike with my Versa Hauler hanging off the back.

Also considering doing a 2 or 4" lift, putting some bigger tires on it. They're cheap, and plenty of them around.

Something like this, but without the pop-top: Poptop062.jpg

Some good info here: http://www.astrosafari.com/

And here: http://astrosafarivans.org/bb2/index.php

AWD Astro owner here.

Averaging 18.8 mpg so far in it, most claim 17-19 mpg. Lots of 2wd guys in the low 20's.

Haven't tried putting the dirt bike in the back, but I've hauled a Buell all over the place for a few weeks, needed to pull the mirrors to get it under the back opening. A sliding door on both sides would make tying down much easier.

Maintenance is the same as about any S-10 or Blazer, same drivetrain (basically). 4L60E trans is known to be a weak link, but I don't read much about them failing in the vans. Smaller tires and generally less abusive usage probably contributes to that. The ride isn't the greatest, and the cramped front leg room can be annoying. But overall a decent, reliable vehicle.

I'd love to deck ours out like the van Woods_Rider pictured, but I know it's not going to happen. Ride has enough side-to-side without lifting it, and the 5' wife has a hard enough time getting in as it is. The camper would be a "cool" factor, and probably get used 1-2 nights a year.