Sign in to follow this  

Slow rebound on crf450 10 fork

Hi all,

I am riding a crf 450 10 and i have some difficulties to set my fork.

i weight 160lb without gear. And i ride sand races, and MX championship.

The problem is that my rebound is too slow. My tech changed the stack for a faster rebound but it's always too slow.

Is it my compression too soft? oil level 350mm. KYB 01 OIL. Stock springs

Should be the spring too soft?

Thank you for your help

Max

Have him valve the rebound so as to have the clicker at 12 out . stock has a really confused rebound , in it packs , out it hops around.

the clicker is at 16 out actually, i will test 20 22 tomorrow. If it's not enough, the valving must be changed

can i put small spacer under the seats spring to have more rebound?

The problem is that my fork is always in low position, in brake bumps or sand turns for exemple. too much sag?

Edited by Makime

Not enough sag...

Not too much.

More sag will put less weight on the front wheel and slow the handling down in the sand.

If you end up at say 115mm of sag and the problem gets better, you probably want a stiffer set of fork springs like previously mentioned.

Also, opening up the compression clicker can get you a little more rebound too...the oil goes both ways through the shaft. If you can live with less compression damping, it may work for you too.

It really sounds like your suspension tech went too far with the rebound stack though. The common report is not enough rebound in that fork. Not stock, anyway.

My sag is at 115 for sand conditions and 105 for mx, and i have a lowering linkage.

So i expect that my fork spring is too soft... and more when i put a larger gas tank!

when i said too much sag, it was for the fork. can i adjust with spacer under spring seats or i change the springs? thanks for your help, you are good advisors :lol:

If youve still got the stock springs, they're too soft. For sand, a big tank and if youre even remotely fast, you probably need a .49kg/mm in the front. You'll be able to lower the oil level a little, to 330-340 cc's and it'll stay up in the stroke better and remain compliant.

Lets everybody remember that the OEM measurement on that spring is in newtons...not kg/mm and that changes the perceived rate a little.

The OEM 4.6N/mm spring is actually a .47 (.469)Kg/mm, which what most of us are used to using when we think about this kind of thing. So stating a guy needs a .49Kg/mm spring on this bike when his .46N/mm spring is too soft isn't that big of a leap in rate.

Just because the 09-11 chassis is completely different than the 05-08 doesn't dramatically change the fork spring requirement. Ultimately the weight on the front wheel is what it is. The over all weight of the bike hasn't changed dramatically and the weight on the rear wheel hasn't changed either even though the spring rates may be significantly different because of the linkage differences.

Regarding sag in the fork, you simply dont set that. You run a spring that is appropriate for the application. That application is dependent on rider preference, track type, rider weight etc. One guy on one bike may like spring X, but the next guy on the same bike on the same track wont like the same spring. It could boil down to rider style, riding position, line choice and a laundry list of other factors.