Sign in to follow this  

2004 Yamaha Breeze starter not engaging

I replaced the one way bearing/clutch not too long ago and everything was working fine. My son was riding yesterday and the starter started just like before, spinning but not engaging until numerous attempts. What gives??? What keeps causing this to happen? This is no easy fix either. I need suggestions???

I had a Polaris Predator 500 with a bad starter clutch. I ordered a cheapo china clutch from ebay and bolted it up to the flywheel and it did not work. So I went on ebay and won an auction for that included both a used OEM starter clutch AND the flywheel together.

I figured out that it was very important to replace both parts because when the starter clutch had failed, it wore off part of the flywheel and prevented it from engaging properly---that tolerance is very important. It does not have to be worn off very much to completely render the starter clutch useless.

A quick FYI:::just for grins I tried the chinese brand starter clutch on the OEM flywheel and it would not consistently engage...piece of knockoff junk. So definitely go OEM and replace both parts.