Sign in to follow this  

Stock '05 yz250 ??

Looking at replacing my '96 with an all stock '05. Just wondering how these perform in stock form or if there are any 'must do' mods such as suspension, pipe upgrades, gearing, clutch etc. Mostly trail riding, with occasional track day but not a racer! I'm asking to help determine how much I'd be willing to pay depending on whether I will need to spend more for mods after the purchase. Thanks!

There are no must do's at all, will be a tremendous upgrade from your old bike. Just ride and enjoy, maybe some mods after you ride it for a while to see what you would like to change.

Only mod the bike must have is to have the suspension revalved and resprung for your weight, type of riding and speed.

It will be like a night and day difference for the better compared to the weak motor your 96 has. Cant really go wrong! Later on down the road, if you want to change pipes... the best I have used is the stock 06 pipe. IDK what is different about it but it was def better than my 08 stock pipe. Better pull everywhere!

Lastly if you have any problems with jetting or detonation look into having your squish corrected. Common issue on the Yz's, and will make the bike a breeze to jet and crispin it up everywhere. One other thing I will add is if you desire more out of the bike have the bike ported. EG offers a low/mid or "mo better" porting option that either one will really help you out in the woods.

Great info, thanks! I was figuring on vast improvements over the somewhat lethargic '96! I've read up on the squish issues and with the long winter ahead, I'll have plenty of time to get it sorted out. Might opt for a port job while it's apart. Hoping to get a few rides in beforehand though, may be good as is for a while especially coming off the '96. Thanks again!

I wouldn't touch anything until after you ride it except maybe a fresh top end and a once over on bearings/lube. Depending on your level and type of riding, you may or may not want a re-valve. I have a friend who I would guess is a low B or high C offroad rider (I'm a mid B and he's almost as fast as me). He's been riding a 2001 CR250 with stock valving and springs for a few years and he can't really tell where it needs any improvement. I keep telling him not to get a re-valve and springs because then he might be faster than me..... :lol: If you're a casual trail rider and you don't race, there's a good chance you won't be able to tell what changes are needed or be able to convey to a tuner exactly what you want or expect from a re-valve. I know I couldn't for the first few years I was riding. I only noticed suspension problems when I started riding MX a lot...

Agreed, it took 2yrs riding my FZ1 before I really noticed the stock suspension flaws. The '96 came with a PC works susp. set up for a 200lb rider (I'm 190) and has been fine for my needs. Riding will be minimal at best this time of year so I'll probably just go through the routine maint stuff over winter. I'm a chronic tinkerer though so it'll be a difficult wait to find out what, if anything, needs improvement. Lol

For Off Road & trail riding most in here like a flywheel weight of 9oz or more.

I race MX and like the FWW most of the time on most tracks.

I would think that the RB head mod would be a great modification for very cheap. The theory and findings seam to back this up. I will be sending mine off for this mod soon. It should help all around but especially down low. I did the CR450F master cylinder swap and changed the front pads to CR OEM pads. This was a huge difference in breaking power. Aside from that I can't think of anything else to made an awsome bike any better. I changed my front and rear springs too. This makes any bike better though. I am considering Boysen Super Stock reeds if and when mine go weak.

I would think that the RB head mod would be a great modification for very cheap. The theory and findings seam to back this up. I will be sending mine off for this mod soon. It should help all around but especially down low.

Getting the squish band set at the correct height is a huge performance upgrade, especially if you ride at any elevation. Best money you can spend on engine mods in my opinion. Run an '07 or newer stock pipe, install a N3EW needle and get a G2 Throttle Cam and let'r rip!

You can ride the bike as is, but for offroad the 05 suspension benefits greatly from a relvalve. IMO, the stock suspension is way too harsh offroad. At your weight, you should be fine with stock springs. As far as pipes, I prefer the FMF gnarly, but the stocker works just fine. If I were you, I would throw some handgaurds on before hitting the trails. Some people like FWW's, but you can also play with jetting and timing if you want to tame the power a bit.

The stock '05 forks are pretty harsh. Slavens revalved mine and they are the best I have ever ridden. No matter what type of riding you do, get the forks revalved by someone who knows how to fix the '05 forks; not all tuners know how to fix these.

Getting the squish band set at the correct height is a huge performance upgrade, especially if you ride at any elevation. Best money you can spend on engine mods in my opinion. Run an '07 or newer stock pipe, install a N3EW needle and get a G2 Throttle Cam and let'r rip!

The G2 throttle cam. Explain that to me a little. I am assuming that it changes the pull length to throttle rotation. Is that correct? How do you like that and what does it do, not in theory but for the feel? I heard about these but would like to hear some input on their performance.

The G2 throttles create a longer pull or slower throttle up to 1/2 throttle, after which it's the same as stock. The cams come in stock size, 10% slower and 20% slower than stock. After riding all morning on the stock 100 cam, I tried the 400 cam (20% slower) and honestly couldn't tell the difference, though I was doing much more wide open riding. I probably should have tried it on the single track in the morning, but I didn't know I would be riding it. I can't say it's a must have mod, especially at over $100.