Sign in to follow this  

83 xt 200 able to run without ignition/safety wires hooked up properly?

Hello there, bought real cheap 1983 yammy xt 200 that i wanna get running just to boot around my farm with

Question is will xt cdi work if just pick up coil, charge coil and ignition wire to coil are hooked up? like if wired like a dirt bike, 5 wire cdi, will xt cdi still send a spark?

I've tested the respective resistances and output voltages for the pick up, charge coil, and ignition coil

- all are in spec

Not sure how or if can test cdi

Have no(zero) spark, and zero voltage coming from ignition wire to ignition coil

Things to consider

-key ignition missing(wires cut to where it would be)

-battery gone(don't think matters as its magneto ignition, lighting coil wires unhooked)

-kickstand and neutral safety switch unhooked/missing

-headlight/blinkers/brake light/speedo/tach unit all gone

I'm aware these cdi's are notorious for going bad, just kinda hoping one of you will tell me im stupid and just ground this wire or loop this, that way don't go buy expensive cdi unit for no reason

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

i know my youngest brother ran one with only the kill switch for years. i think he had hardwired the ignition on by joining the wires. he also ran no lights or other saftey stuff as his ended up all bypassed.

If the saftey switches are gone I think you have to make a jumper for each. I think the switch makes the connection needed to run.

Not sure, don't have a wire diagram for your bike but pretty sure.

hey just thought i would give you guys an update on this, i see some posts got deleted in the site update

got the ytm cdi in and tried it, it sparked great, but when started it, it ran idleing not right and when given any amount of throttle, the ignition could not keep up, it was running and sounded just as a quad would lol. So in the future, dont use a ytm 200 cdi on an xt 200!

so since that didnt work, got a cheap xt cdi off ebay, she sparks now! the ignition system seems to be performing perfectly

but ive had it running only for maybe five seconds at a time, doesnt seem to wanna keep running

I remember when was trying to get the thing running before i was playing around with the pilot jet (idle mixture screw) on bottom of carb, the cap restricting access to it is gone so i can freely adjust it

I cant remember where i had the damn thing set when it was running, sick of trial and error, to impatient lol

anyone know the stock pilot jet setting in turns?

Mixture screws are usually 2.5 turns out will run. Not necessarily well, but they'll run. It wouldn't hurt to revisit cleaning the carb because it's possible it ingested some gunk or varnished in the time you were waiting on parts.

The YTM may use a different stator and it was running severely retarded or advanced, just put it back on eBay and make some of your money back.

Good luck.

Thank you!

Had the mixture screw at 2.5, but cleaned carb thoroughly and tried again, still not running well just fires every now and then like before for a few seconds. Tried different mixture screw settings around the 2.5 range, still nothing. Really hoping used cdi I bought isn't shot as well.

Matt

At this point, you may have it flooded and no amount of messing with the screw will change anything.

Take the plug out, turn the cylinder over a few times with the kick-starter.

Clean or replace the plug. Wait 15 minutes, reassemble and try again.

Also, you can try bump starting it by putting the bike in neutral, find a big hill or have a friend push, when you hit about 10 mph, pop it up into second, dump the clutch and hold on.

If the tire skids, go to third gear before dumping the clutch.