Sign in to follow this  

2008 RMZ 450 Low Compression

I haven't ridden the bike since April due to bad injury but the fuel was treated with startron and I try and start it for a couple of minutes twice a month to keep engine lubricated. I just went out to shed to kick bike over and the compression is low. Two weeks ago I ran it but it took about 30 kicks to get it going, but I figured thats from the cold. It has 31 hrs. on it and valves were checked at 25 and were in spec. Oil and filter were always changed at 5 hrs. with AMSOIL and I recently changed it again even though I havn't ridden it, just for winter storage. I'm thinking a valve is not seated or worst piston/rings although I don't know why now. Suggestions

First, if you are not going to ride for several months, no need to start it for lubrication. I've found that with bikes or cars, slow crank or crank without fuel takes care of any lube concerns.

Check all the 'easy' things...controls-cables-spark plug etc. You will probably find that one of those have stuck/adj/or out of spec.

First, if you are not going to ride for several months, no need to start it for lubrication. I've found that with bikes or cars, slow crank or crank without fuel takes care of any lube concerns.

Check all the 'easy' things...controls-cables-spark plug etc. You will probably find that one of those have stuck/adj/or out of spec.

Thanks, I will look at those things. I hope its nothing serious.