Sign in to follow this  

04 RMZ 250....50$ project with issues

Ok, so I just inherited a project and a half from a friend of mine, he needed cash so I gave him 50 bucks for a disassembled rmz 250 with a busted crank case. The bike's in about 400 pieces but for the most part, just from looking at the pile of parts I have it's mostly there. Anyways, here's what I need for sure. Crank cases or complete bottom end, kick starters gone and so is the water pump and cover, right side radiator shrouds missing, front sprocket has worn teeth and the fork seals are both leaking. So.....what I'm wanting to do is put it together to race hair scrambles and trail ride but before I go spending too much money on it, would it be cheaper just to buy a running bike and part this one out? Just from looking on ebay I'm gonna spend at least 1000-1400 in parts to get the bike to what I want it to be but I really want to have all the suspension set to my weight with new springs and rebuild the forks and shock while it's all off the bike anyways. So what am I getting myself into?

you can look at this one of 2 ways.....you can build a great bike and put all new parts on it , and for 50 dollars your not really out alot of cash or you can look at it as you got a parts bike....all depends how deep your pockets are. the 1st thing i would do is put the engine together and see what you need and have...the engine is really the heart of the project.

yeah that's what I was thinkin too, but the reality of this bike is all that I really have is a top end and a rolling chassis. I'm all about reviving it and the more I think about it the more I just want to fix it so I'm gonna sit and watch ebay for a set of cases or a bottom end and hope something affordable comes around or maybe someone reading this has extra parts they would be willing to sell. I'm not going to be able to start on it for a few months, just moved to a new town for a new job and with christmas coming up money will be tight till I get settled in.

i have a 06 rmz 250 i use for trail riding only. i don't find it to be a good bike for that. mine over heats in tight technical trails. i use engine ice and from what i read the 04 is worse. i think the internal gear ratios are to close i'm constantly shifting and if the bike stalls while lugging it. good luck kick starting it. they load up when lugged and don't want to start and my bike is in great shape valves,piston are good just the nature of the beast i mostly ride with 2 strokers and from what i see they are a much woods bike. im not trying to convince you to do anything just letting you know my experience . if it were mine id probably part it out and spend the rebuild money on a 2 stroke. you can pick up a good 2 stroke for what you are going to dump into that. my trail riders club has about 3000 members and most bikes are 2t everyone i talk to says ktm or kdx is the way to go in the woods Jmho

i have an 04 and find it so much fun in the woods so that is going to differ per person. i bought welded 08 kawi rads on ebay for like 70 for the pair moved lower mounting tab on the steel frame and plastics bolted right up. overheating problem is gone! i had 08 shrouds and hosing to finish it all up. very easy mod to make that 04 as good as any 08 or newer in the woods imho. stock its hard to keep it cool in the woods, no arguement there.

Well with all that said I think I may just part it out. Looking around on craigslist I can get a running 2 stroke for 1500-2000. How much do you guys think I can get out of all of the bits and pieces? As far as I know the only problems are the busted case and leaking fork seals.

Well rebuilding this whole bike you would know what is done. Most likely your going to buy a 1500$ bike and end up putting another 500$ into to set it up and go trough it

i totally agree!