Sign in to follow this  

crf and xr front brake caliper brackets etc.....

ok, doing a usd fork swap onto my 1997 xr4... steerer is on the way from emig and i ve pressed in the new bearing races, ground off the crf steering stops... going well except minor brake issues...

i was hoping to use the original xr4 frotn brake but the caliper bracket had a spacing of 102mm... the 2007 crf450 showa i picked up has a spacing of 78mm... :lol:

so i picked up a cheap brake $35 from ebay... supposedly it came from a 2005 crf250... it arrives yesterday and i find it also has a caliper bracket spacing of 102mm... the same as the xr4 #$&@^@

did the seller on ebay misrepresent the year of his parts here ??

according to motorsport.com i need caliper bracket 45190-MEN-006... can anyone please verify that this bracket has the 78mm spacing i need...

i appreciate any help fellas

cheers

oz

2005 is diff than 2007. you can get by with your stock XR caliper for a while, it will work, just not as well

unfortunately the xr caliper bracket won t mate up to the crf fork... not even close... 78 mm Vs 102mm...

according to the database on motosport.com, the bracket for a 2005 crf is the same part number as the one for the 2007 - 45190-men-006

so currently i have two complete front brake set ups

1) original 1997 xr4 - 102mm bolt spacing

2) 2005 crf - 102mm bolt spacing

neither of which will fit on the 2007 crf fork which has a bolt spacing of 78mm..

:lol:

maybe this will help..

DSC04568.jpg

top to bottom:

- 1997 xr400 caliper (102mm)

- 2005 crf caliper (102mm)

- 2007 crf showa (78mm)

on a positive note i ve got the clamps sorted and ready for the emig stem :lol:

DSC04567.jpg

04 is the first year of the newer brake bracket. So more than likely the part is off an older CR250 say 03- .

So 04+ is the current brake caliper bracket on the CR and CRF full size bikes.

thanks very much for the reply jj... looks like my ebay seller had the wrong year advertised on his auction... it was listed as a 2005 crf250 front... next time i ll get someone to put a caliper on the mount..... farkkk... at least it was only 40 bucks... anyone wanna buy a 03 or so front brake... :lol:

i m not too pissed since the front wheel i got from the same guy ($65) is in great shape... tire is pretty toasted but i expected that..

I checked the 45190-MEN-006 part number in my Xref database (only goes to 08) and it is used on:

04-07 CR125/250

04-08 CRF250R/X

04-08 CRF450R/X

The caliper bracket should have a three character product code on it, in the above example it is MEN.

That should confirm that the seller got the year wrong. I suggest presenting the info to seller and request a return. Next step is to file a "misrepresented complaint" with ebay.

thanks chuck.. both calipers have a KCY stamp... good info to know... can you tell i haven t owned a dirtbike in 25 + years :lol:

i m definately gonna let the seller know he sold me the wrong year stuff, but i m not overly worried about it... i got the complete (wrong) brake plus a nice crf wheel (rotor / tire) for under 150 shipped... i figure i ll sell the brake on ebay for 50 bucks and pick up another... not too much hassle.. hopefully...most decent wheels on ebay seem to be 100 plus..

luckily the emig stem hasn t arrived yet... hopefully it shipped yesterday...

the beast is longing for a front end..

DSC04570.jpg