Sign in to follow this  

chain and sprockets

just wondering if anyone has ever baught or used these chain and sprocets.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HONDA-CRF-450R-O-RING-CHAIN-AND-STEEL-SPROCKET-SET-2004-2008-CRF-450-/230685242894?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b5e9760e

my bike is an 08 crf 450r and was wondering if im better off buying renthal or tag. i want something that is strong and will last awhile

I've had one of these on my bike for over six years now, and it still doesn't show much wear.

model-48T-h-600pix.jpg

Never even seen thoughs...... they do look like the best after reading on them... Pricey but for what they are worth it.

Never even seen thoughs...... they do look like the best after reading on them... Pricey but for what they are worth it.
They used to be called Ironman sprockets. The one on my bike has hundreds of hours on it, in abrasive Florida sand.

primary drive sprockets are good, my buddy runs them and gets good life from them. the chain is a little iffy, but if you wear out the chain and the sprockets are good then a new chain and your back in business. rockymountainatv.com sells primary drive.:lol:

you could buy LOTS of primary drive sprockets for the price of some.. i ride bunches and bunches so just get those. they don't look fancy or anything, and might not be as good a quality steel as but i havn't worn one significantly yet even with worn chains. There are DOZENS of "what is best" chain and spk threads.

They used to be called Ironman sprockets. The one on my bike has hundreds of hours on it, in abrasive Florida sand.

I recently ordered one and it was called an MSR Ironman sprocket on the website, but the package says Dirt Tricks.

This from their website:

What kind of life can you expect from an Ironman Sprocket?

The following is very typical:

Below (right) is a worn, but very usable rear Ironman sprocket. This sprocket is just at the .025" wear limit. This sprocket has been run for over 1000 hours on a 2002 and 2003 KTM 525. It required two bikes, five O-ring chains, and 31 Dunlop 695 rear tires to wear it out by an expert 220-pound desert/enduro racer who practices and/or races 10 hours per week.

http://www.dirttricks.com/ordering_sprockets.htm

primary drive sprockets are good, my buddy runs them and gets good life from them. the chain is a little iffy, but if you wear out the chain and the sprockets are good then a new chain and your back in business. rockymountainatv.com sells primary drive.:lol:

I run the primary drive rear too. So cheap is almost a no brainer. But the PD chains are absolute junk. They make the OEM chain look invincible.

That said, a buddy of mine had one of those Ironman sprockets too. It lasted so long it was bizarre. Whats more, the sprockets are usually what take out the chain. Put a good o-ring chain on an Iron man or dirt tricks or whatever...it'll be a long time before youve even gotta adjust it.

Getting the rear wheel straight in the swing arm is about 70% of the battle on keeping the chain and sprockets alive.

it may have been a waste of $40, but just installed the Primary Drive 0-ring chain. it was the "better" one i think, i have 53 hrs on the "expensive" EK chain that was on there, rollers worn enough that i took it off and will keep as an "emergency" chain if i need one.. will see.

keep in mind "53 hours" was put on an hour or 2 at a time. Not doing 15-30min motos and come in and lube (well, all i use is wd40) the chain. With the harescrambles and enduro's your out there non stop for the duration. So the chain is ran in the mud, sand, whatever for longer than if ran on an mx track.

it may have been a waste of $40, but just installed the Primary Drive 0-ring chain. it was the "better" one i think, i have 53 hrs on the "expensive" EK chain that was on there, rollers worn enough that i took it off and will keep as an "emergency" chain if i need one.. will see.

keep in mind "53 hours" was put on an hour or 2 at a time. Not doing 15-30min motos and come in and lube (well, all i use is wd40) the chain. With the harescrambles and enduro's your out there non stop for the duration. So the chain is ran in the mud, sand, whatever for longer than if ran on an mx track.

Doing the kind of riding you do, you should use a chain wax like Maxima. As the chain heats the wax melts and is drawn toward the heat carrying the lube along with it, and it doesnt fly off or attract dirt, dust or sand. Probably double your chain life...

I've had those on my RM250 and CRF450, Always got great life out of them. I probably don't ride as hard as some people, mainly trails. For me they are a great product

As stated above, I too have only used wd40 on my chains for 25 years. I always reapply between motos and practice motos. My chains and sprockets always last longer than all my friends. Got two seasons out of an aluminum Renthal with D.I.D xring chain. Keep on top of them and they will last. Now I too use the supersprox/ironman, its the same thing.

Anyone had problems with too wide chain? I bought a CZ 520 ORH X-ring chain for my 2011 CRF450R and the chain seems to be really wide. There's as much as no clearance between the chain and the engine case on the front sprocket. The bike has been running only 1 hour, so everything should be in place and ok.

Anyone had problems with too wide chain? I bought a CZ 520 ORH X-ring chain for my 2011 CRF450R and the chain seems to be really wide. There's as much as no clearance between the chain and the engine case on the front sprocket. The bike has been running only 1 hour, so everything should be in place and ok.

Two words.... countershaft spacer.

I have been running my countershaft sprocket flipped around to give the spacing a oring needs....04" CRF 450