Sign in to follow this  

'11 motor in a 09 frame?

10 motor should work..not sure how the 11' would. I know thats efi so I'm not sure how'd or if it could run off the carb/cdi from the 09.

the motor mounts are the same and yes the motor will mount up.. How ever.. Its not cheap to convert an 09 to a 2011 efi setup not to mention lack of some mounts on the frame for key electrical components

I think you could convert an '11 motor to carb, for a lot of effort, but the issue you would run into is the Crank position sensor, stator and rotor are different for EFI vs the CDI setup the carb bike uses. You would be able to change out various electrical components to work with the CDI, except for perhaps the rotor and stator and cover on the left side. The '10 parts may bolt up, but I am guessing that the case is different enough that it won't be an easy switch, if at all possible. I am converting my '11 motor to the '12 dual injector setup. That is not as hard to accomplish, but does require a lot of parts and runs almost $900, for the minimum stuff needed. Why would you put a carb in an '11 motor though? The '11 EFI is not bad. It is really a very fast bike, just a little flat and leaves some high RPM power to be desired. But it runs just fine and makes more power anyway compared to the '10 carb bike.

I was just curious. And if you ever gernaded a motor you can find brand new 2011 motors on ebay for a nice price...but I would think you could just take all the electrical stuff off of the 09 and put it on the 11 motor to run carb..who knows..

yes you could but there is one problem.. The neutral switch on the 11 is diffrent then 09-10 and you would not be able to make it work.. Might cause issues with the cdi..

Isn't there a way to wire the neutral switch out of the 09. If so couldn't you just wire the switch out and then just have the 11 motor neutral switched left unhooked . I'm probably won't be doing a 11 motor swap. But I would imagine this would work. If my engine ever gernades I plan on buying a kx250 or kx125 and doing some frame work and bolting that sucker in...

Isn't there a way to wire the neutral switch out of the 09. If so couldn't you just wire the switch out and then just have the 11 motor neutral switched left unhooked . I'm probably won't be doing a 11 motor swap. But I would imagine this would work. If my engine ever gernades I plan on buying a kx250 or kx125 and doing some frame work and bolting that sucker in...

the 2011-12 cases have a lot more materiel removed for their gear indication sensor.. so no you could not just wire in a neutral switch.. I guess you could how ever machine a new a plug and tap it or something to make it work.

I was saying leave the stock 11 sensor there..don't plug it in...and wire the 09 cdi nuetral switch out..grounding it I think makes it think its in gear...not sure if any of it would work..just thinking

yeah I was thinking that myself..but then again..as long as my bike oil is fresh and the clutch isn't dragging my bike will start it gear..but it has to be perfect

I guess there is the option that you could wire a kill switch to grnd for you're own "Neutral switch" that you could press whilst trying to start the bike..